Prev: Spinal Mounts (was: RE: OUDF - Railguns??) Next: Re: Spinal Mounts (was: RE: OUDF - Railguns??)

Re:[FT]WotW Needle beams

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:20:33 GMT
Subject: Re:[FT]WotW Needle beams

In message <001701c0a1cc$c385cca0$a2b0893e@inty>
	  "Bif Smith" <bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Charles Taylor wrote-
>
> >I have considered that Needle Beams (and PDS) are in fact Laser
weapons
> >- this would explain the ability of both weapons to ignore screens
> >(which are designed to stop particle beams - using the traditional
> >Tuffleyverse PSB).
>
> I use the same thought as in the starfire novels as for the PSB for
needle
> beams, that they are actually VERY tightly focused partical beams (or
in FT
> terms, beam bats). I prefere this, as it opens up posibilities for
different
> weapons or systems (like the focusable Cl.3 bat). just my oppinion
(however
> misguided<G>).
>
> BIF
> "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
> strong in arms, thick in head"

Well, that works as well, with FT, you can attach whatever PSB you
like to each weapon system, for instance, my KV 'sniper gun' is (in
one version) simple a needle beam with a different PSB (highly
accurate light kinetic energy weapon). One question - why did you choose
class 3 batteries to have the 'focusable' capability?

On the subject - another idea (loosely inspired by Ian M. Banks) IIRC I
suggested this before - but I've revised it a bit.

Effector Beam
This uses a highly sophisticated directed electronic warfare system to
knock out the control electronics of the target system. Roll a number of
d6's equal to the class of the Effector, if any dice rolls 4+ (5+ if
target has level 1 screens, 6 if target has level 2 screens), then the
target system is knocked out (main drive is reduced to 1/2 by 1 hit,
knocked out by 2+ hits).
Unlike Needle Beams, this weapon does no hull damage, and knocked out
systems can be re-activated on a successful damage control roll.
Weapon range is 18 mu per class, but loses 1 dice per 18 mu of range
The effector requires 1 dedicated fire control per 18 mu of range.

Class	   MASS  COST
1 (1-arc)    2	  24
1 (3-arc)    3	  36
1 (6-arc)    4	  48
2 (1-arc)    4	  48
(extra arc) +1	  +6
3 (1-arc)    8	  96
(extra arc) +2	 +12

Each additional class is twice the mass of the previous, and has a COST
equal to 6 times the MASS

Fairly nasty, but its supposed to be a bit of ultra-tech gear (hence
the high COST/MASS ratio), the MASS and COST values are largely
guesswork.

Prev: Spinal Mounts (was: RE: OUDF - Railguns??) Next: Re: Spinal Mounts (was: RE: OUDF - Railguns??)