Prev: [OT] Enemy at the Gates - March 16 in US Next: RE: [GZG-ECC IV] FMASkirmish: The Trouble with Colonials FMAS Gam e - player roll call

RE: RE:[OT] Getting out of 25mm

From: Rick Rutherford <Rick@e...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:53:26 -0500
Subject: RE: RE:[OT] Getting out of 25mm

Hiya,

A while ago someone estimated that the ground scale in StarGrunt can
be approximated as 1/300 (6mm) scale. With 15mm figures, the figure
scale
and the ground scale are closer to each other, and I can put enough
figures on the table to make a small battle, and have a very interesting
and good-looking game (I usually use 30 to 70 figures per side in a
game,
depending on the scenario).

If you try to use the same amount of 25mm figures, they get crowded
together so much that it looks silly, and you end up playing a medium-
to large-size skirmish game. (I once set up & played a scenario using
6mm figures just to see what it would be like, and the players got bored
with the game because the figures were too small.)

When you play with 15mm figures, the visual impression that they provide
reinforces the idea that the basic unit in the game is a squad of
figures, while 25mm (or larger) figures look more like a group of
individuals.

Now skirmish games are interesting games to play, but the StarGrunt
rules
handle larger battles well enough that it seems a shame not to have
them.

-- Rick Rutherford