Prev: Re: Getting out of 25mm Next: [GZG-ECC IV] FMASkirmish: The Trouble with Colonials FMAS Game - player roll call

Shifting scales RE:[OT] Getting out of 25mm

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:34:21 -0600
Subject: Shifting scales RE:[OT] Getting out of 25mm

***
     Stuart made me think, some of the others I know have started to get
out of 25/28mm scale and are moving to 10/15mm.

     Is this a trend overall or just in the Los Angeles area?

     If it is overall what are the reasons? Cost, Figure availability?

     Just curious what is the hobby trend.
***

Please note this is merely my opinion and observation, but I'd call it
more
a continuation of fractioning of the hobby. GW's gigantism has taken it
in
one direction; I think 25/28mm is definitely two, perhaps more, scales.
Ditto 10/15.

Many on the list are concerned and dismayed that more scales mean fewer
figs in each, while I think it's adding variety. The middle ranges(I
think
of 6mm or less as small) give one some chance for detail of image, but
cost
and more figs and scale room for those figs to a gaming table. Your
gun's
effective range is more reasonable if the area you are battling is
logically larger.

A gaming area tends to be limited by arm's length, so smaller scales
mean
larger logical areas of play.

For doing Aliens board style, where you're in cramped quarters, on the
other hand, I think 28, 54, or larger a very nice. GenCon last year had
Aliens vs Marines using 12" GiJoes, Barbies and Kens, and Tsukuda
models.
The corridors could've used work, but it was visually VERY impressive.

Prev: Re: Getting out of 25mm Next: [GZG-ECC IV] FMASkirmish: The Trouble with Colonials FMAS Game - player roll call