Prev: Re: PA books Next: Re: [SG] Re: Powered Armor Reading List

Re: [SG] Re: Powered Armor Reading List

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:13:31 GMT
Subject: Re: [SG] Re: Powered Armor Reading List

In message <OF5BAD5730.C854C4DA-ON862569FC.006D7514@uneb.edu>
	  devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> I've always felt that Henlein's Starship Troopers and Joe Haldeman's
> Forever
> War should bee the bookend books of your sci-fi military bookshelf.
One at
> each end to know that good ficition embraces it all.
> ***
>
> Certainly my point of view, though I've grown to find the Heinlein's
style
> a little grating.
>
> ***
> The movie of Starship Troopers could best be used as toilet paper,
however
> the filmstock is abrasive and tends to chafe one's butt even when used
in
> this fashion.
> ***
>
> On this, we must accept, as proven, that men of conscience and taste
must
> learn to agree to disagree.

I was amused by the description in the Guardian TV schedule for when
Channel 5 showed it last week - they considered it a highly amusing spof
of 50's B-movies and Anerican War movies :-)

Other Critics seem to have decided that Mr. Verhoeven is on a
one-director crusade to subvert the American Movie industry - or
something :-)

Not being telepathic, I decline to comment ;-)

> Many, however, will notice that Verhoeven is one of the executive
producers
> of Roughnecks. Perhaps he is holding out an olive branch to those
> disappointed with the film. ;->=

Er... I think that all it means is that he holds the copyright ATM -
AFAIK 'Executive Producer' means that you're associated with the project
- but you don't actually _do_ anything :-)

Like just how much input is F.F.Copola puting into 'First Wave' (i.e.
how much is it his fault :-)