Prev: Re: Home field advantage Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: Good AAR Techniques

RE: [DS] An incomplete AAR :-)

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:15:26 -0500
Subject: RE: [DS] An incomplete AAR :-)

Good to get even an incomplete AAR!

First, VTOL's may not have greater than size-3 weapons (p.14). This may
or
may not have had an effect on the game.

In a game like this it is often a race to reach the objectives. If you
can
occupy them first (with the correct units), it may be difficult to
dislodge
you. This is why there are often extra objective markers placed. Only
the
player trying to enter the objective knows which ones are true and which
ones are fake -or- knows which ones are of primary imporatance and which
ones are of minor importance. If both sides are trying to take
objectives,
it is sometimes good to have each side roll randomly to determine the
importance of each objective.

The force that you fielded did not seem to be an optimial mix for the
game.
But a commander does not always get to choose his forces. Infantry in an
urban area are TOUGH to dislodge.

You are correct, Forward observers would have helped in the game quite a
bit. Artillery is powerful in DS2. Wait for your opponent to move and
call a
strike on where it stops. With no command activation, the target cannot
move
and is usually swated.

It sounds as if his 2 proged attack led you to split your attack. If he
needed to take all three (of 3) objectives, then concentrating on one
arm of
the attack may have been preferable (in part it depends how close the
objectives were to his starting possition).

Did he have to take the objectives with infantry or would any unit work?
If
any unit, it would be more difficult, and taking the objectives yourself
may
have worked. If it required an infantry unit, then specificially
targeting
the APCs (if fire was not drawn by an attack) may have been part of a
good
strategy.

I agree. A time limit (actual time or number of turns) is often a good
motivator for a game. It keeps the action going and can force a player
take chances. In the game you described, you could have had
reinforcements
arriving in X number of turns. If Ted's units were not in place by that
time, he would have to try to withdraw with x%+ of his force intact. Or
he
could have had reinforcements comming. You would have had to keep him
from
taking 2 of the 3 objectives by the time reinforcements arrived and then
get
off the board with x% of your forces.

As a defender, you should have had either supperior numbers or been
closer
to the objectives. This is a failure I had in the first year I ran the
Moonbase Xi DS2 scenario at GZGECC. The LLAR had to enter a base with
infantry, then get them off the board again. The UN forces were too far
away
from the base at the beginning of the game to keep them from stopping
the
LLAR from entering the base.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Feel free to ignore what does not make
sense to
you.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/
-----

-----End Original Message----

Prev: Re: Home field advantage Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: Good AAR Techniques