Prev: Re: More needle beams stuff on [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Digest Number 149 Next: Re: Powered Armor Reading List

[OT] Interesting Article vis a vis the USS Greeneville Incident

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:06:06 -0500
Subject: [OT] Interesting Article vis a vis the USS Greeneville Incident

I try not to post off topic stuff, but I thought I'd post this as
there's a
general interest on how naval operations work. It could also serve as an
interesting possibility for a FMA Skirmish onboard action scenario.
Okay,
that's a stretch, but...

This is an article in the online magazine Salon. It's an interview with
retired Navy Captain Ned Beach. Beach was a nuclear sub commander and is
the
person who first suggested bringing civilians onboard US submarines.
He's also
the author of the book, "Run Silent, Run Deep", which was made into a
famous
movie.

This is a very interesting article with respect to the USS Greeneville
incident, where a surfacing attack sub collided with a Japanese fishing
trawler. What he says about the trawler's sonar, and the young
submariner who
had his job interrupted by the civilians is particularly indicative of
the
thinking in the Navy.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/02/23/ridealongs/index.html

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: More needle beams stuff on [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Digest Number 149 Next: Re: Powered Armor Reading List