Prev: Re: That Age Thing AND FMAS names Next: Re: (OT)Larry Leadhead

Re: That Age Thing

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:27:03 EST
Subject: Re: That Age Thing

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:05:26 -0600 "Mark A. Siefert"
<siefertma@wauknet.com> writes:
<snip>

  When I explained what miniature wargaming is to one of
>my
>co-workers I was told "you are the only grown man I know who STILL
>plays
>with toys."

Sports Cars anyone?  Golf Clubs?  Season Tickets?  Hunting licenses?
Trophy wives?  Ten bedroom houses for a set of DINKS?  A Lexus SUV?

 Although She-Who-Is-Not-To-Be-Named originally thought
>gaming
>was interesting, she eventually used it as one of her reasons for
>dumping
>me.  ("Your 24... These games are for children.  You've got to grow up
>sometime, or else...")

An excuse, not a reason I expect.

My father will shake his head saddly whenever
>he
>sees me painting or packing my stuff togther for a night at the local
>game
>store.

So, the military does it with computers and printouts (b-o-r-i-n-g) and
that makes it 'adult' to spend gazillions of dollars to find out that
the
last guy to run out of beans, bullets, and beer wins?  That bigger
Battalions have some advantages?  That advancing precipitously into
fortified positions is costly?	That Artillery does the killing and
Infantry does the dying?  That Urban Warfare is incredibly bloody?
SPI's
Sniper! game could tell you that last one...  That logistics and
reconnaissance are better then tactics?

My wife won't play war games but she was a heck of a nasty gnome PC in
my
years long D&D campaign.  I think she should have kept notches in sword
handle for all the knee caps she busted... plus all the nasty things she
did with illusions...	"Fair, I have to fight 'fair'?	Okay, you,
Dwarf,
cut off their legs and we'll start at 'fair'!  Stupid Paladins!  'Fair'
for someone my size  is a flame-thrower! Get a life, preferably in this
one!"

She patiently listens to me excitedly describe the monthly game day
sessions, smiles, looks in my eyes and says (and means it) "I'm glad you
had so much fun."  Then she tells me about her latest Quilt/sewing/cross
stitch project and I listen.  Or she tells me how my other hobby (making
bead jewelry) has given her an idea for something I could make her
and/or
the girls.  Give and take.  Accepting others (as much as we can) for
what
they are as they were created.

Sorry to hear your loved ones haven't caught on to that just yet.  Maybe
someday.  Maybe.

[gets off soap box and puts it away]

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: That Age Thing AND FMAS names Next: Re: (OT)Larry Leadhead