Prev: Re: Some more comments to the WeapDef archive Next: RE: Re: Some more comments to the WeapDef archive

Re: [FT] EMP Weapons Recap

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:14:52 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] EMP Weapons Recap

In message <6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9EA9AE06@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> So,
> The discussion is winding down, but we've reached little consensus. We
have
> a few tweaks to some of the weapons under discussion, but nothing
> conclusive. We have people that like damage lists and people that
don't. We
> have a genre weapon that works well withing the genre, several
potential
> simple-to-complex threshold mechanics (both chosing how many and which
> systems get checked). I feel better able to tweak the stuff I've
designed to
> get in line with sentiment, but don't want to presume about others'.
>
> In many cases, alot of us will be agreeing to disagree about how these
> things actually work. What I'd like, especially from those that have
> discussed specific systems (that they've either generated themselves
or have
> a real interest in) lay out some final ideas i can syntehsize into the
WDA
> entries.
>
> Then we can move on. I think next group will be needle weapons, as the
EMP
> discussion came close to treading on them anyway, and the yahoo list
(which
> I haven't yet looked at) seems to be having a to-do with it.
>
> For example, here are my edits to the couple I contributed:
>
> Temporal Distortion Gun:
> Added note at the end -  Genre Weapon at best. Too impractical for
normal
> play.
>
> Scrambler Pulse:
> Because the Scrambler pulse
> does not have the aiming problems of a missile, the effect will be
reduced
> to either:
> 1) FD-6 on attack. Roll of 4 = threshold at 6, 5= thesh at 5+,
6=threshold
> at 4+
> 2) As MT missile but 3-4 = thresh on 6+, 5-6=thresh on 5+
> Most other advantages of a direct fire EMP weapon are mitigated by the
> limited range. One other
> possible fix is making extra arcs +2 Mass
>
> Noam

Hmm... as an alternative for the Scrambler Pulse how about this:

Roll 1d6, -1 per full 6 mu of range (max range is still 18 mu), - level
of target's screens.

Consult the MT EMP missile table
So, to summarise

Roll ( vs. unscreened)	  0-6 mu	 6-12 mu       12-18 mu
1-2			no effect*	no effect     no effect
3		       Threshold (5+)	no effect     no effect
4		       Threshold (5+) Threshold (5+)  no effect
5		       Threshold (4+) Threshold (5+) Threshold (5+)
6		       Threshold (4+) Threshold (4+) Threshold (5+)

* Backwash - firing ship suffers Threshold (6)

Or you could use my alternative EMP table for a slightly reduced effect.

This makes it a quite nasty 'up close & personal' weapon, but with
reduced effects at longer ranges.

It can also be used in a PDS mode - where it has the same effect as a
standard PDS system (question - do you think the heavy fighter bonus
should apply in this case?)

Prev: Re: Some more comments to the WeapDef archive Next: RE: Re: Some more comments to the WeapDef archive