Prev: RE: [FT] Hidden stats was: WotW 2: EMP Weapons Next: RE: [FT] Hidden stats was: WotW 2: EMP Weapons

RE: [FT] One-shot Pulse Torpedos -- any playtested stats?

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:39:35 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] One-shot Pulse Torpedos -- any playtested stats?

[Bri] Salvo Missiles save 1/2 the mass of the ammo. But that does not
apply
here due to the fact that P-Torps do not have ammo.

> Another possibility is to take a page from the Submunition pack --
> same MASS and PTS cost as a Class 1 battery, with roughly 3 times
> the effectiveness.  So, one could argue that a 3-shot P-rack
> would be the same cost as a full blown P-Torp.

It depends on the chance to hit the target and the life-expectancy of
the
weapon. Even an unlimited fire weapon will be unable to fire it it takes
threshold checks. So, a weapon on a small ship that fires 3 shots (or 3x
damage) could be much more effective than a weapon that has unlimted
shots
(but cannot fire because the ship or weapon becomes damaged/destroyed).

> Well, Jon, given all the discussions about weapons on the list
> recently, it looks like you're going to have to design a weapons
> construction system.	(A la 'Fire, Fusion and Steel')  (8-)
>
> JGH

-----End Original Message----

My comments above marked by [Bri]

I would suggest mass 2 gives 1 shot and 1 arc; 2 additional arcs may be
purchased for 1 mass (max arcs of 3). Cost is 3x mass.

This would make the 3 tubes mass 6 (1 arc) and allow 3 shots to be fired
at
the same time.

--OR--

First tube (1 arc) mass is 3. Additional tubes may be added at 1 mass
per
tube. The tubes may be placed in a turret (providing a total of 3 arcs)
at
an additional mass of 1 per tube. Cost is 3x mass.

This would make the 3 tubes (1 arc) mass 5 and allow 3 shots to be fired
at
the same time.

Disposable weapons should be costed with small, disposable ships in
mind.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org
-----

Prev: RE: [FT] Hidden stats was: WotW 2: EMP Weapons Next: RE: [FT] Hidden stats was: WotW 2: EMP Weapons