Prev: Re: [sg] Infantry Skimmer and the nebulous attached file Next: Re: [sg] Infantry Skimmer

RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:38:24 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Additional Proposal:

===========
Ion Pulse Weapon (IPW)

Mass: Same as Beam of 1 class larger (i.e. a class-3 would be 8 mass)
Cost: 3/mass
Class: 1+
Arcs: 1 (but may be any single arc)
Range: 12mu/class
Damage: None
Effect: Roll dice as for a beam weapon [same number of dice as class of
weapon; -1 per 12mu out]. The roll equals the maximum number of systems
that
can be damaged by this IPW attack. On a single die, a roll of 4+ on an
unscreened ship will add 1 to the total. A roll of 6 will add 2 to the
total
(and roll again). Screens/Shrouds/etc. effect the roll as they would a
beam
weapon (i.e. level 1 screen would cause rolls of 4 to be ignored; level
2
screens would ignore 4s and 6s would only add 1 to the total instead of
2).
Roll a threshold check until the number of system potentially damaged
are
damage by the IPW attack or every system has been checked under this
attack.
Threshold checks should be done in the following order:
1) Screens/Shields/Cloaking Fields/Shrouds
2) FCS
3) Sensors/ECM (if using MT Sensors & ECM)
4) Engines
5) Weapons starting with the most mass and going to the least mass
6) Bays/Hangers/Passenger spaces
7) Core (if 2nd hull row has no undamaged hull boxes).
As with a Wave Gun, a ship may not be screened in the arc through which
it
fires a IPW (but other arcs may be screened).

Stealing the idea from Noam:
IPW may be fired in PDS mode with a range of 6mu by de-focusing the
pulse.
Any fighters in the arc of effect may not attack this round and loose 1
point of endurance. Missiles/Pods/Plasma are effected the same as if a
number of PDS equal to the class of the IPW had fired at them. IPW may
not
be used with ADFC. Ships (friend or foe) caught in the unfocused IPW
attack
suffer effect as if hit by a class-1 IPW. A firecon must be dedicated to
the
task in order to allow IPW to fire in PDS mode, and may not be used for
other purposes this turn. Obviously, if IPW fires in PDS mode, it may
NOT
fire in standard mode in the same turn.

-----
Brian Bell