Prev: Unsubscribe Instructions Next: Re: DS - Size 1 Walker Minis??

The 100 club

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:17:54 -0500
Subject: The 100 club

This isn't a commercial post... just a comment on the whole concept.
Nic's
brainstorm for the 100 club is brilliant (and its cousin the 300 club).
As a
current user (I managed to get together a whack of people who liked
Gurkhas), I will say it is fastest to operate when you can put together
an
order for several hundred figs then just say "go". That's not all that
easy,
although it isn't all that hard either if your idea for a figure is
popular.

Mike Broadbent is a good sculptor and seems to understand what the
requests
are for pretty well. The Gurkhas I've seen so far are an excellent
addition
to the SG2 line (with luck, my Carnage Con Queso squad at GZG will be
Gurkhas). Obviously, with anything that is GZG specific (like Gurkhas
with
NAC Kit), then it needs his nod (and I think he'll probably want to
produce
them too!).

But this is a great way for a manufacturer to produce new moulds while
minimizing risk (they are expensive, and it is nice to have  a
pre-committed
market) which is sound business strategy. And it lets gamers drive some
of
the production stream. If enough people want what you want, it happens!

Although... sometimes their are production incidents.... ask Nic about
the
four Ghurkha sniper moulds... <*wink*>	(In my best Homer Simpson voice
"D'oh! Said the quiet part loud.....")

Anyway, if you're looking to build forces of a particular type or to get
manufactured figures no one makes, this is a great idea. I think my next
plans involve trying to get together production for some or all of the
following: Some kilted NAC troops (Highlanders) (esp a piper), Some New
French Republic troops, Some Romanov troops, Some LLAR troops, and
perhaps
some new OUDF (GMS/P, Personal GL, figures with Rifle/GL).

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

2001: To the New Millenium! The next thousand years
are MINE.