Prev: [OT]: SST Roughneck Chronicles on DVD Next: re: Eureka 100 club, 6-10 mm Bugs, and SST DVD

Re: OT-Wrong port arthur

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:23:29 -0600
Subject: Re: OT-Wrong port arthur

***
But had Makharov(?) not been slain so early, and had his replacement not
been a hopeless joke,
they would have done much better. Probably still lost, but at least it
would have been a fight not a slaughter.
***

I was reading in scenerio notes of Great War at Sea: 1904-1905, that
Marakov (my memory of the spelling, but no more likely right than yours)
died in the mine sinking of his flagship, after avoiding an ambush laid
by
the Japanese. Togo was said to have had his fleet lower their flags to
half
mast in honor of a 'samurai'. Or maybe a warrior with the soul thereof.

I gather he was on station for a relatively short time, and impressed
the
Japanese far more than his superiors and fellow fleet commanders, as his
calls for support and coordinated actions were regularly denied.

I remember being certain that one ship of my beloved ESU fleets had a
class
named after him, but I must have been dreaming.

Of course, most of the above are just from the GWaS author notes; you
have
to wonder about a guy that uses game notes as a historical source. ;->=

***
with not a single allied coaling station along the way was a feat of
naval
logistics unparalleled in history.
***

Probably with good reason; the game also points out that the fleet
stopped
off at Shanghai to top off it's coal supply, a very busy international
port. As if the Japanese fleet hadn't enough forewarning before...

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: [OT]: SST Roughneck Chronicles on DVD Next: re: Eureka 100 club, 6-10 mm Bugs, and SST DVD