Prev: Re: IMCLS (RE: FT-HET Lasers) Next: Yes Sheild/No Armor Weapons; Kinetic sheilds; Weapon Archive

RE: Kinetic Shield; was Re:FT-HET Lasers

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:34:53 -0500
Subject: RE: Kinetic Shield; was Re:FT-HET Lasers

At the last GZGECC, I ran a game with pre-Fleet-Book Sa'Vasku.
They had shield levels that could absorbe 3 points of any type damge
per TURN. This made them seem very tough.

In 1 on 1 battles or small group engagements, the shields were
stronger than screens (plus protected against weapons other than
beams). But with a large number of ships concentrating fire, the shields
were weaker than beams.

Still, not a bad mechanic.

You could have a Tractor Beam Defense Grid (TDG). A ship is mounted
with a number of small Tractor Beam projectors and a sensor system
similar to the PDS sensors. It looks for projectile style weapons
(K-Guns,
missiles, etc.) and projects a tractor beam to deflect the projectile.
The system can deflect a limited number of attacks each turn*. This
system
has the same mass/cost as screens. An additional layer of Tractor Beam
projectors/sensors may be added** (same cost as level 2 screens). This
weapon is not effective against energy weapons columnar energy weapons
(Beams, Stingers, etc.), but is effective against plasma weapons
(P-Torps,
Phalon Plasma, etc.) and weapons with projected matter (missiles,
stinger nodes, K-Guns). It is not effective against fighters (PSB
fighters
are too slow to fall within the parameters of system or are agile enough
still attack after the beams have pushed them). This system is
incompatable
with screens (the tractor beams are disrupted by screens).
* Absorbs the first 3 poinst of non-beam type damage in a given turn.
** Combined system absorbs the first 6 points of non-beam type damage in

a given turn.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net