Prev: RE: Scales again (was: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #289) Next: Re: Trek ship identification?

RE:scales again

From: "bif smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:04:06 -0000
Subject: RE:scales again

As a railway modeler, I might be able to help here.
Allan Goodall wrote
>One set is 1/72, the other is 1/76. Neither is what I've seen as the
>"official" HO scale (1/87).
Right, this sounds like british model railway scale, called OO gauge
(double
o), which is 1/76 scale, but still runs on HO (half O gauge) track,
which is
1/87 scale. If your interested, railway mesurments are usually in mm/ft
scale.
O gauge, 7 mm/1ft, forgot the scale, the first model railway scale
HO gauge (half O), 3.5mm/1ft, 1/87 scale, designed to be a home gauge to
bring model railways into the home
OO gauge (british), 4mm/1ft, 1/76 scale, introduced due to the fact UK
trains (in real life) are smaller than almost everybody else`s trains
(disadvantage due to being first), the bodies had to be larger to fit
the
motors avalible at the time, but still ran on ho track (so the track is
too
small for a true scale)
N gauge, 2mm/ft, this is more difficult due to the fact that the scales
are
different depending on where you are. after this you decend into the
really
small scales like Z scale (sneeze and you lose these). I know this is
totally off topic, but I thought you might be interested. Also, when you
state the figure is 10mm, make sure that everyone knows that it`s 10mm
hight, because there is a scale called gauge 1, that is 10mm/1ft scale,
so
if you went into a model railway shop and asked for 10mm, you might get
something the total wrong size.

BIF
"yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: RE: Scales again (was: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #289) Next: Re: Trek ship identification?