Prev: Re: Swiss Confed DD Next: Re: [FT] A bizarre FT idea for the Friday topic

Re: [FT] A bizarre FT idea for the Friday topic

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 12 Jan 2001 12:08 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] A bizarre FT idea for the Friday topic

http://freespace.virgin.net/jeremey.claridge/downloads/New%20Cruiser.gif

> workable? stupid? interesting?

At present, I would say 'interesting'

Some remarks:
- What happens to hits on side with no hull boxes left ? Threshold
checks only ? Or is damage applied to other hull sections ? Adjacent ?
Opposite ?
- How do you determine which side is hit ? Direction of the shooter ?
Semi-random between the two sides facing the shooter ?
- Should the array always be square ? Or dependent on ship shape ?
- The square array defines direction arcs that are different from the 6
fire arcs of FB1. I would prefer to have the hull boxes distributed in
6 arcs
- Does this work for all enemy weapons ? How about SMLs or fighters ?
- It will be harder to get threshold checks than now. Now all hits go
to the first row. All shots are unlikely to hit the same side of a ship
- The effect on crew casualties is interesting. At the first threshold
check, each box has 1/6 chance of being killed, 2nd check 2/6, 3rd 3/6
resulting in chance of 5/6 , 20/36, 60/216 ( 83%, 55%, 28% ), whereas on

the present system, 1/4 is eliminated by the point each threshold check
is reached. So the first hits are less deadly to crews. The rest are
roughly similar, though more random.
- Shouldn't at least the non-core systems be assigned to specific hull
sides and suffer damage accordingly ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: Swiss Confed DD Next: Re: [FT] A bizarre FT idea for the Friday topic