Prev: Re: DS-Bolos Next: Fw: [odms] Good website

Re: [OT/DSII] Re: Shermans and Panthers

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:56:56 -0800
Subject: Re: [OT/DSII] Re: Shermans and Panthers

> > On the American, and perhaps Brit side, I seem to recall a quote
of a
> > surviving panzer commander: I could always kill their tanks
10-to-1, but
> > they would always come up with an eleventh.
>
> The truth may be even wierder, the supply problems at the front for
the germans
> were such that; although they could reliably destroy every sherman
that came
> into view, there were more shermans than anti-tank rounds.
>
> The Avalon Hill solitaire game "Patton's Best" teaches a very stern
lesson to
> M4 (not Firefly) commanders-- Do not fire upon german tanks, it only
draws
> attention to yourself.

Not necessarily Mk IV's.  Mk V's (Panthers)....I believe _The Longest
Day_ (Cornelius Ryan) mentioned an incident during the Normandy
invasion in which a Mk V--apparently oblivious--drove through an
American tank company, saw on the far side whatever it was looking
for, then turned around and went back through on its way home, with
the Americans firing, ineffectually, the whole time.  I don't imagine

Prev: Re: DS-Bolos Next: Fw: [odms] Good website