Prev: [FS] DS Infantry Minis Next: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited!

{Q} Efficient Designs

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@m...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:10:32 -0500
Subject: {Q} Efficient Designs

Here is a question, what is more efficient: PDAs or 1-bats (formerly
C-Bats)?

In answering this I can think of what the variables are: ratio of ships
fighters, effectiveness of 1-bat vs. ship armor, effectiveness of 1-bat
vs.
fighers.

PDA's are single purpose anti-fighter weapons, while the 1-bat can be
used
in two roles (anti-ship, anti-fighter).  How many fighters can a PDA
defend
against before being overwhelmed?  I think the answer is 2.5 or 3.  So
you
need at least 2 PDA's per-expected flight of fighters.	Of course this
can
be acheived more cheaply by having escorts with lots of PDA's and
area-fire
control, however that gets into fleet design and I am thinking of ship
design right now (for those times when you don't have an entire fleet
behind
you...)

1-bats are somewhat useful against fighters and somewhat useful against
small ships.  A ship armed with a dozen 1-bats is as offensivly powerful
as
2 flights of fighters, would the 1-bats be effective enough to stop 2
flights of fighters?  Also considering the price and mass, the fighters
are
obviously cheaper.  So perhaps some mix of PDA and 1-bat is the best
bet.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
--Peter

Prev: [FS] DS Infantry Minis Next: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited!