Prev: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited! Next: Re: [FT] Terrain

Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited!

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:46:33 +0100
Subject: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited!

Glenn M Wilson wrote in a couple different posts:

>>A good, balanced fleet could consist of:
>>50% Capital Ships
>>50% others
>>
>>Taking some examples:
>>NSL:
>>3 Maria Von Bergunds (or Richtofens)
>>3 Heavy Cruisers whose name I forget
>>6 Waldbergs, with maybe a few Waldburg Ms
>>2 Escort Cruisers, the light cruisers with ADAFs whose name I also
>>forget.
>
>Are heavy cruisers in this example part of the 50% Capital ships?  Or
>is this 50% by "points"

50% by points.

>>ESU
>>1 Komarov(?) Super Carrier

Should be Konstantin Super Carrier (the Komarov is the SDN)

>>5 Heavy Cruisers whose name I also forget

Gorshkov or Voroshilev.

>>2 Beijing-Bs (Escort Cruisers with ADAFs)
>>6 Krivaks

This might be a bit difficult, since there are no models for the Krivak
DDs - in the FT universe they were replaced "long ago" by the Warsaw
class :-/ I'd get a mix of Warsaws and Volgas for variety, though.

>>2 Nanuchkas
>>

>>NAC
>>2 Dreadnaughts
>>2 Vandenberg-Ts

Same model as the normal Vandenburg.

>>Can't help you too much there. I play with ships that I've created
>>myself. I find the FB 1/2 ships to be lacking. We play with purely
>>vector movment and the ships in the books are designed for both
>>vector and cinimatic which compromises them a bit.
>
>Okay, I'm extremely green - tell me how this works, please?

In the cinematic (normal FT2) movement system, ships always move in the
direction the model is facing (like Star Trek) and it takes time to
turn around. In Vector ships can move in directions other than the one
they're facing (like B5 fighters, or Star Wars TIE fighters at least in
episode 4) and any ship can turn to any facing pretty much instantly,
but changing the ship's *course* takes considerably longer. This
difference means that high/low thrust ratings and wide/narrow fire arcs
vary quite a lot in usefulness between the two movement systems.

>>What I run for a fleet is a Super Dreadnoughts a few BBs a couple of
>>cruisers and a bunch of destroyers. I find ships larger then a
frigate
>>but smaller then a heavy cruiser aren't usually worth the points.

Which makes the above-mentioned fleet composition sound a bit odd -
destroyers are generally larger than frigates but smaller than heavy
cruisers, yet Jaime uses a bunch of destroyers?

>Hmmm,	 Maybe the original use of such ships wasn't in fleet actions
>at all just because of this.  Didn't Light Cruisers in WW1 and WW2
>tend to stay far away from "Big Bad BB's" because of that reason?

They got quite close to them during torpedo attacks...

>I did not understand the example in FT/2nd that shows "Carriers"
>having "C" class guns... Wouldn't it be better to have larger guns
"BB" >types for that and stick to PDAF/ADAF weaponry plus screens?

It is *extremely* annoying to have completely unarmed carriers if the
enemy slips some light ships past the carriers' escorts. If you can
prevent him from doing that, then you can safely have carriers devoid
of offensive armament; if you can't, you'll most likely find a couple
of small batteries quite useful.

>>I don't use many missiles purely because I find it unbalances the
>>game, well if you use them right :)

...and the enemy doesn't use proper anti-missile tactics, that is.

>>As for personal feelings, I'd rather expend lots of MT missiles and
>>not get any of my people killed

Suggests that Jaime plays on a fixed-edge table or uses some sort of
vector movement for the missiles. If you play on a floating
("unlimited") table with the MT missile rules published in MT (rather
than one of the various house-rule FB conversions for MT missiles), his
opponents would be able to force him into close beam ranges to give the
missiles any chance of hitting simply by turning away. One of my
opponents thought that massed MT missiles were a sure-fire way of
winning... until my beam-armed fleet crushed his missile boats in four
consecutive battles without my losing a single ship :-/

>Well, my first and only FT experience has made me *very* missile
>conscious...

Your maneuvers *were* rather predictable :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry
From - Wed Jan 03 11:05:04 2001
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:51:06 EST
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:46:33 +0100 "Oerjan Ohlson"
<oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> writes:
>Glenn M Wilson wrote in a couple different posts:
<snip>

>>Well, my first and only FT experience has made me *very* missile
>>conscious...
>
>Your maneuvers *were* rather predictable :-/

You were there?  Opponent or Kravak, (I know you weren't the "young"
ernest ensign type or Mr. "teleporter" so if you were there you must
have
been playing or observing.)

Or are you just concluding that from earlier statements?

And I am not sure what wouldn't have been predictable given my
inexperience. 8^)

>Regards,
>
>Oerjan Ohlson
>oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines!
Starguard, Dirtside 2, Full Thrust, Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar
Conflicts and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
From - Wed Jan 03 11:05:03 2001
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Ship Names
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 19:47:25 -0800
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

From: Mark Reindl (who sent HTML mail)
>Any ideas for ship names for a Kra'vak fleet?	Anything with an
apostrophe?

There is a list of KV syllables, or phonemes, or something, which was
started before FB2 but was IIRC revised afterwards.  You could use
that.

My KV clan, the Ba'Das, has named their main capital ship the
_Ba'Das_.  May not show much originality but they're noted more for
aggressiveness than creativity.

Prev: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited! Next: Re: [FT] Terrain