Prev: RE: Question that may be really *old*... Next: RE: New firearms technology

Re: Question that may be really *old*...

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:24:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Question that may be really *old*...

"Stark, Luke" wrote:

> Bridge simulator...interesting idea...almost cerainly not a first rev
thing.
> *wink*
>
> > Before we go too far there is the matter of licensing.
>
> That is something I'm treading carefully on. It's only been an hour or
two
> since I started this thread and three people have sent me email about
> licensing. I do not want to screw anything up for any of us. Read my
other
> posts for more info. I wouldn't enjoy playing this game alone...

Is Play-by-Email an option for you? A number of us on the list do that
on occassion (esp since time/distance between our respective selves is
really a tad vast to simply drive over to visit in an evening ;-).

Mk
From - Wed Dec 06 17:41:48 2000
From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@msn.com>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: New firearms technology
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:32:11 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

This is old news.  I've seen a prototype in action.  It uses a matrix to

launch the rounds.  Electric action.  Kinda neat and probably useful for

clearning minefields of mines.	Think of it as a really wierd claymore
mine.
  The one I saw was probably operating at around 10,000 rounds a minute
which is better than Phalanx.

I think it needs a lot of work before it will be useful in a military
sense.
  Right now it is great for duck hunting.

--Peter

>From: "Jay Arnold" <jdarnold@siu.edu>
bang
>An Australian inventor has developed technology that can allow a
>machine-gun
>to fire at a rate equivalent to a million rounds a minute. Think about
>security systems, robot assassin drones, point defense against incoming
>missiles . . . Here's the Scientific American story
>  http://www.sciam.com/1999/0499issue/0499techbus2.html ).

_______
______
Get more from the Web.	FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com
From - Wed Dec 06 17:41:48 2000
From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@QUIXNET.NET>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: fleet sizes
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:46:34 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

> Have to disagree with Chris' assessment of the PAU. Having seen some
> projections of how their economy might go, I think it might be far
more
> comparable to the NAC than you think.... not a match, to be sure, but
far
> better than one might suspect watching Sally Struthers in Etheopia or
> Somalia. If they get good water, abundant energy resources (which will
both
> lead to more food) and a bit of political stability for even a short
while,

Not a good record on that, eh?	And there's an amazing amount of HIV.
My
parents took a short-term medical missions trip to an African country
about
10 years ago and about 35% of patients had it.	I understand the
percentage
has increased since.

> their economy will probably boom quite hugely so flat curve growth
> projections are out the window. Now, is 66 percent of NAC size too
big?
> Quite possibly. I'd guess more like 25%.

The other factor is that, if they're pouring money into economic
development, they may not need/want/have as much for military.	IIRC
Nigeria, a fairly wealthy country by African standards, has a few
vessels in
the FF range plus some patrol boats and maybe a destroyer.  Most of them
are
beyond economic repair due to lack of maintenance & trained crew.

If you're using Crew Quality rules and the Major Powers are "standard",
I'd
suggest downgrading PAU (and IF).

> I think the "militancy" of the ESU will help make up for its shortages
> economically.  They probably accept that to compete with the NAC means
tad
> lower standard of living and so they spend more of GNP.

Right.	But that hurts your GDP in the long run--I've read that every
1%GDP
spent on the military reduces growth by 1/2%.

All this having been said, I'd rather increase the size of the Major
Powers'
fleets than decrease the PAU (et al).  If you have only a few ships, you
can't really fight a battle--you can't risk losing anything.  If you
have 40
battleships, losing one is unfortunate rather than catastrophic.

Prev: RE: Question that may be really *old*... Next: RE: New firearms technology