Prev: Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close Next: Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close Assault

Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close

From: Jim Foster <jfoster@k...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:08:12 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close

Actually, it was playable, if you ignored most of the 'advanced' rules,
and played relatively small engagements. We used it from time to time as
an RPG combat system, stripped down to keep it playable. Even so, our
motto for the campaign was 'we've got a chart for that!'

Should anyone care to know more about the system, email me directly.
While
it's been quite a while since the last time I've played it, I do have
most
of the core books sitting on a shelf somewhere.

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Peter Mancini wrote:

> I saw the same system.  More complexity doesn't necessarily produce
more accu
racy or better results.  The game was unplayable - unless you got your
rocks of
f on charts.  Being an actuary would probably be a plus with that game,
IMHO.
Others may like it but, I couldn't abide it.

> --Peter M.

Close

> Can't help you much here, though I'm aware that the US Army has done
much.
> I just don't know where to look.
>
> I'm aware that there are some fans of the now-defunct Leading Edge's
> Phoenix Command system on this list, and perhaps they can support or
deny
> the following.
>
> I recall that the weapon effect and wounds allocation were based,
according
> to a con demo-player whom I respected greatly, on just such
excruciating
> number crunching. I remember playing a Vietnam game where he'd explain
in
> gruesome detail just how a wound had occurred, and the range of time
until
> I'd go unconscious and finally dead. But that I should go ahead and
finish
> my action. ;->=
>
> Having seen the table lookup and the die-rolling to get the results I
> described, I never really wanted to try and learn enough to RUN a
game.

> The_Beast
>
> -Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon
>
> One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
> Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler<br clear=all><hr>Get
more from
 the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a
href="http://explorer.msn.com">http: