Prev: Modern Close Assault Next: Re: Command Con II by-product!

Re: Modern Close Assault

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:26:25 -0800
Subject: Re: Modern Close Assault

Peter Mancini wrote:

> I've even seen this in real life with toy weapons.  In paintball games
it is
> rare to get within 10 yards of the enemy unless you have overwhelming
> suppresion fire.  In one instance I was able to get within 6 feet of
two
> enemy, but only because I had 7 other people beating the bush with
hundreds
> of rounds while I waltzed in and grabbed the flag.

Ah, you must not play in very dense terrain.  We have a great spot for
paintbal
that is down near a river, and the brush is very dense and overgrown.
The last
time we went out, I don't think I was in a game where we *didn't* get
within te
yards of one another.  I duked it out with someone from 15 feet away at
one
point because I was dug in under a tree in some brush, and he was
foolish enoug
to try to come in after me even though he couldn't see me.  Note however
that
I'm not disagreeing with your points about modern combat, just thought
I'd shar
some of my paintball experience (which stretches over the past 11 years
or
so....).

> Paintball isn't nearly as difficult as real warfare for a number of
obvious
> reasons (rate of fire, actual death involved in one, etc.)

Very true.  For example, in real warfare, soldiers generally don't carry
1500
rounds into the field with them, unlike some of the wanks that I've
played
against in paintball games.

> The only time I ever got to stick my muzzle into someone's ribs and
shout
> "Surrender of die!" was in a village scenario where I was able to
enter a
> house and overwhelm a sniper by kicking him in the ass and knocking
his gun
> from his hands.  Other than that, out of perhaps, 100 or so games I've
never
> ever come that close without being totally pinned.

I truly hate playing indoors.  I can only imagine (thankfully) what it
must've
been like for troops to have to clear out cities and villages.

Mark