Prev: Ship Stand Questions Next: Re: NAC? Re: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE]

[SG2] close assault query

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:37:07 -0500
Subject: [SG2] close assault query

Hi guys

Here's one for you that came up the other night and was (I think) lost
in
the list speed bumps of late.

SG2 rulebook seems to presume close assault is launched with the intent
of
taking an objective of tactical significance rather than launched with
the
express intent to cause casualties.

However, the other night, a squad in the open was CA'd by another squad.
The
defending squad had no position to defend, so they wanted to beat feet.
Several questions came up.

1) The defender had 1 suppression. Can they leave? The suppression rules
would seem to indicate no, but the CA rules themselves make no mention
of
this and the only thing they seem to restrict while suppressed is
reaction
fire.

2) Assuming they can bug out (which I let them do), what are the
effects?
Does this affect their morale? Must they still test to "stand for CA"
even
if they break so as to possibly drop them a confidence level or two?

3) In actual fact, they bugged out and moved 8". They then activated,
cleared suppresion, and cut to bits the pursuer who'd chased them with a
feeble 6" roll. It seemed odd to me that you could beat feet away from
an
attack, pull up short (given the attackers never stopped chasing you)
and
kick the crap out of them with point blank fire. This seemed like
cheese.
What should have happened according to the rules?

4) If you let a suppressed unit flee at all, should they have to move to
cover before removing their suppression (taking a page from an FMA
suggestion about suppressed in the open)? Should this apply more
generally
to other suppression in the open cases?

Without knowing for sure, I'd have suggested

1) You can move, with 1 or less suppressions on you, when CA'd. You must
retreat to cover if you have a suppression before removing it.
Alternately,
the retreat places one upon you and therefore you must do this. This
prevents the fleeing defender from suddenly turning around and firing
cohesively.

2) As an alternative, any retreat from a close assault will
automatically be
considered to put the squad out of unit cohesion and therefore a re-org
must
be taken. If you also have a suppression, you have to remove it too
before
you can fire back (so effectively, if both disorganized and suppressed
and
fleeing, you can't pull up short and gut your pursuer with direct fire).

3) A further alternative is to say being close assaulted consumes your
action for a round - therefore you can't activate again until the next
round. It would be a good penalty for being assaulted.

4) If you have 2+ suppressions, you are pinned hard and can't leave and
must
eat the close assault.

Comments on what the rules say that I've missed or not interpreted
right?
Comments on my suggestions or the situation?

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Prev: Ship Stand Questions Next: Re: NAC? Re: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE]