Prev: Re: [HIST] The origin of the Second American Civil War and the NAC Next: Re: [Fwd: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE] (fwd)

Re: [Fwd: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE] (fwd)

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 16 Nov 2000 14:18:44 -0800
Subject: Re: [Fwd: FW: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE] (fwd)

On Thu, 16 November 2000, Brian Burger wrote:

> Further note to the Canadians out there: Remeber to help get Stockwell
> re-named Doris - go to http://www.22minutes.com and sign the petition!
> (This won't make any sense to non-Canadians, but it's too long a
political
> joke to explain...)

No it isn't!

The Alliance Party wants to allow people to force referenda on anything,
as lon
g as they can get 3% of the electorate (about 350,000 people) to sign a
petitio
n. To show how silly this is, and how easy it is to get 350,000 names,
the TV s
how This Hour Has 22 Minutes is holding a petition to have Stockwell Day
-- lea
der of the Alliance -- to change his first name to Doris.

When I signed, they had 151,600 signatures. That was yesterday at 2 pm.
They go
t over the 370,000 mark this morning.

To put this even marginally on topic, what IS the status of the colony
worlds i
n Tuffleyverse? Has anyone worked out the government systems of the
colonies an
d the home worlds? Are they all some form of
democracy/republic/constitutional
monarchy? Or are there any really weird governments out there.

I think this could make for some interesting scenarios, and could even
fuel a f
ew civil wars. Maybe I should start painting my FSE fleet different
colours...

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com