Prev: Re: Dollar Store Treasures Next: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles

Re: Dollar Store Treasures

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:00:00 -0600
Subject: Re: Dollar Store Treasures

***
The local Dollar Express store now has a load of Star Wars micromachines
sets, and even a single Aliens set.  They don't have a huge selection,
but
it's a pretty good assortment.	Lots of the basic Star Wars vehicle
packs,
all three of the Dark Forces packs, and the Aliens set that includes the
Nostromo, the Narcissus, an Alien, and some poor guy who's just met a
facehugger.  Of the three Alien sets, this is the least appealing to
me...but the Nostromo should make a half decent 1/300 scale merchant
ship.
***

And don't snort at the Narcissus for a possible fighter scale, aka
Silent
Death, fleet.

***
I also picked up the Star Wars set with the Mon Calamari cruiser and
Cloud
City in it -- the makings of a space station or two.
***

I have a pretty big 'Assault on the Death Star' pair of fleets, but I'd
be
interested in the cruiser(s) and other ships, if you get more. I've a
few
MM Aliens to swap, if you don't have enough from DE.

***
They didn't have many of the figure sets -- one set of Stormtroopers,
one
set of Hoth Rebels, and many many packs of Imperial officers.  I'm going
check out another local Dollar Express, and see if their selection is
any
different.
***

There are folks willing to kill for Stormtroopers, wouldn't mind a few
more
Hoth Rebs, and are sick of seeing Imp officers. ;->= I've gotten enough
of
the officers to mix with Stormies and Imp Fleet troopers to face Rebel
Fleet Troops in a really BIG boarding action. Yet another game scenerio
waiting construction.

***
I also found a building set which, after a bit of judicious destruction,
was able to turn into a pretty decent 28mm scaled ruined building.

http://www.geocities.com/johnxcrim/GalleryMisc.html  -- at the bottom of
the page, after I added a base and painted it up.
***

Most kewl! I'd like to have seen a 'before' piccie. I've picked up
smaller
resin village houses and castles that might work with 15mm and smaller
scales. Well, the castles are WAY smaller, but set to the side, or
center,
as a goal in a Warmaster-type game...

Also some resin Tyrano Rex's that may someday be cold one-style mounts.

You just have to stomach searching through really bad kitsch. Pink
flowers
and mushrooms indeed. *shudder*

***
And lastly, I picked up a $5.00 laser pointer at a nearbygrocery
store...perfect for determining LOS on those crowded gaming boards.
***

I've no problem with that usage, but I know plenty of gamers that find
it
somehow not being a purist. That, and there's always some munchkin(of
the
unsavory meaning) that likes to go around shinning them into peoples
eyes,
making light saber noises.

***
Ahhh...the joys of gaming on a budget!
***

Praise be, I think he's seen the light!

Er, did you seen any of the Star Wars action figure scenery boxes? Could
be
most gnarly ship interiors!

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler

Prev: Re: Dollar Store Treasures Next: Re: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles