Prev: re-fighter details Next: Re: Sa'Vasku shipbits

RE: Fighter details

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:35:47 -0500
Subject: RE: Fighter details

[snip]
> > 7) Morale
> > Assuming Question 6 is a no, has anyone experimented
> > with
> > Morale modifications for the effects of having a
> > Fighter group's
> > Carrier destroyed? Assuming Question 6 is a yes, has
> > anyone
> > experimented with Morale Modifications for the
> > effects of having
> > more squads than remaining bays in the Carrier
> > Fleet? It was just
> > discussed, that if a Fighter squad hesitates when it
> > takes
> > casualties, it might also, if it realises it can not
> > get home.
> XXX
>      The other side of the coin is; Since you will
> die in space anyway and these B******* just killed
> all your friends, might as well make them pay!
> XXX
> >
> > Morgan Vening
> > Cabin Boy
> > VFE Kallon, Suffren LCC
>
> Bye for now,
> John L.
-----End Original Message---------

Yes and no. Just because the carrier is dead does NOT
mean that the fighter PILOTS are unrecoverable. I think
that it would be appropriate to have some morale check,
especially if enough carriers are lost such that all of the
remaining fighters may not dock.

House Rule for Loss of Carrier:
If a carrier is lost (carrier, here, is any ship with a fighter
bay), the fighters assigned to that carrier make morale
checks as if there is 1 less fighter in the group.
Additionally, if there are less fighter bays in the fleet than
fighter groups, all fighters make morale checks as if
the fighter group has lost one additional fighter. A roll
of 1 on the fighter morale check always succeeds.
  Example: Fighter group A has 4 fighters left. It looses
its carrier to fast strike boats. However, due to fighter
attrition, there are enough fighter bays in the fleet to
hold all the remaining fighter groups. An additional
fighter bay is lost to a needle attack. This leaves more
fighter groups than fighter bays, all fighter groups make
a morale check as if they had lost 1 additional fighter
(FG A would now check as if it had 2 fighters).

House Rules for Returning Fighters with No Bay:
If fighters must return due to empty endurance or
failing a morale check 3 times, and there are no
fighter bays to receive it (all full or none left), roll
a d6. Results:
1-2) Fighter Pilot ejects in life pod and awaits rescue.
3-4) Fighter flies parallel to a friendly ship and awaits
    rescue.
5-6) Fighter screens ship until end of battle or a bay
    opens up

Now, the above house rules slow down the game and
may be too severe. Most likely the fighter morale
rules are sufficient as they stand. The above is
presented if you wish to add some additional flavor to
a scenario.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org
-----

Prev: re-fighter details Next: Re: Sa'Vasku shipbits