Prev: Re: [SG/DS] Scenarios (Pyramid Article) Next: [OT] Nice work Noam!

Back in action

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@m...>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:13:27 EDT
Subject: Back in action

Hello all,
It's been a long time since I've been on this list.  I decided to get
back
on because I've started to game again and also because I just bought two
new
fleets to game with.

I was happy to see that the first message I got concerned tactics for
the
Kra'Vak as that is my first fleet.  The other fleet I bought is the
Phalons.
  I do have some questions however...

1. -- why do the Phalons or anyone else for that matter call their
larger
ships MOTHERships when indeed it is quite clear they are FATHERships.

2. -- are their any rules for their docking stations?  A roundtable
discussion this past week (read: we were drinking gin and howling with
laughter...) centered on such rules.  We decided that the ports on the
docking station would be quite, um, fleshy if you will.  The center hub
of
the station would be dominated by two connic refueling stations.
Someone in
the group suggested placing a pad over one of the ports to show what
they
look like when they are down for monthly maintenance.

We decided that Phalon docking stations required much higher maintenance

than other stations and generally were unable to get ready to deal with
any
emergency in anything less than 1 1/2 hours.  Phalon ships that dock
with
the station will undock as soon as business is concluded and then enter
into
radio silence with the docking station for at least several days.  It
has
been observed that on occasion the bridge crew of some Phalon ships will
get
intoxicated and resume radio contact with docking stations they haven't
seen
in years at odd hours.

Docking stations also, occasionaly, build new phalon ships.  They are
small
and require a long shakedown cruise.  All to often the Fathership that
delivered the parts to build the new ship will find it too cumberson to
include it in the taskforce.  Taskforce integrity is based on the
"buddy"
system and the responsibility for caring for a new ship can be seen by
many
Phalons as a burden that destroys that system.

A classic way of defeating Phalons is to distract them.  Launching a pod

with some shiny new technology, even during battle, will cause many of
the
Phalons to break ranks so they can check it out.  Don't bother to
include
instructions as they will be ignored and the pod will almost upon being
received be opened and taken apart for further inspection.

Phalon fleets are generally slower than other fleets when entering new
territory.  Phalons seem to ignore all nav beacons and when off track
will
rarely, if ever, stop long enough to triangulate their position within
local
systems.  Their slowness is not a question of velocity (which can be
quite
large in magnitude) but more with not making a straight path to their
target.

Phalon fleets have been known to communique back to the docking station
stating that they are on patrol but then quickly skirt behind a local
moon,
exchange boarding parties and play cards.

The Phalon ships tend to have larger and larger cargo areas modified on
their ships as they age.  When asked, Phalon ship commanders often
respond
back that "they are working on it."

Oddly, phalon ships and docking stations have different measuring
systems
using the same terms.  A ship's standard measuring unit will tend to be
as
much as 50% to 175% larger than the docking station's.	A ship, for
example
might say it is at least 10 megaunits long while the docking station
will
guide them to a 6 megaunit long docking port.  Odd.

The Phalons are truely enigmatic as you can tell.  They are so alien and

have no analog in human society that it may be years, centuries (never?)

before we truely understand their motivations.

--Peter
Get more from your time online.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com

Prev: Re: [SG/DS] Scenarios (Pyramid Article) Next: [OT] Nice work Noam!