Prev: [ARCHIVES] Re-launch of GZG Archives Next: Comments on pop

Re: [ARCHIVES] Re-launch of GZG Archives

From: Jerry Han <jhan1@h...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:02:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [ARCHIVES] Re-launch of GZG Archives

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the compliment.  I'm actually hoping people will use the
archives on a more regular basis. (8-)

As for how I did the coding:

I cheated.  (8-)

I discovered this nice program called MHonArc, which did the
actual sorting and collating.  I basically configured the script
(which took a while), and re-organized the collection, which involved
a lot of text file manipulation (which I still haven't quite got down
pat, as all the September entries in the October archive will
demonstrate.)

Originally, I had planned to phase in the changes slowly over the
next couple of months.	But, a project finished here at work, and
another one is still a couple of days away, so I took the opportunity
to fix the archives.  Don't tell anybody.  (8-)  If the window
stays open, I'm going to attack the GZGPedia backlog next, after
I get everything sorted out with the Archives.	The biggest question
right now is automated archiving.  Ah well, we'll see.

Thanks!
JGH

--
** Jerry Han - jhan1@home.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan **
    "I dream of rain; I dream of gardens in the desert sand

Prev: [ARCHIVES] Re-launch of GZG Archives Next: Comments on pop