Prev: Searching for Tom Gronvald's page... Next: Re: Ftl tugs, mass and psb question

RE: Ftl tugs, mass and psb question

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:01:15 -0400
Subject: RE: Ftl tugs, mass and psb question

Agreed.
10% mass that is freed up from not installing a FTL drive can easily be
used
for:
 - Level 2 Screens
 - +2 MD
 - Cloaking System
 - Reflex Field
 - Hull
 - Other assorted offensive/defensive systems.

The main arguement (disagreement) that I hear when someone wants to send
a battlerider (nonFTL ships brought by a tug is that the tug should
remain
untouchable, as it has dropped its ships and is hiding/running/FTLing.
And
then they contend that either 1) The tug should not be counted for point
cost;
2) The tug should only represent 10% of the mass of the battleriders; or
3)
The tug cannot be counted for victory conditions (only the more
efficient
battleriders).

The problem with #1 is that battleriders gain 10% free mass.

The problem with #2 is that the same factors that favor large ships come

into play and favor battleriders. That is larger ships take longer to
reach
threshold checks and can bring more effective fire upon enemy ships
(concentrated fire can remove a smaller enemy ship before it can fire
than the same mass of smaller ships firing on the larger ship). In the
same
way battleriders fleets concentrate the FTL mass of all the fleet into
a noncombatant ship. While this reduces the overall size of the fleet,
it
makes each ship within the fleet more effective. Take a Maximilian BC
for example. The FTL version is mass 100. However, without FTL, you
can fit the same hull, engines and systems into a mass 87 ship. So
you gain 13% instead of the expected 10%. It does vary with ship
size: the Van Tegethoff 200m ship gains 11% (178), the Huron 50m
ship gains 14% (43m).

The problem with #3 is that the same as #2, that is the victory point
force
is more efficient than a similar FTL force.

I, too, can live with 20% for tugs. It provides a more efficient
fighting
force and provides benifits that normal FTL does not (i.e. can move
objects
without having to fit them with FTL).

For a tournament or one-off that allows non-FTL ships, perhaps a 15%
penalty
should be applied to the non-FTL force?

-----
Brian Bell