Prev: Re: location Next: Re: FMA HTH

Re: Vehicle Recognition

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (t-online)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 07:17:25 +0200
Subject: Re: Vehicle Recognition

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@yahoo.com>
> --- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
> > Don't think so - if it's the one I'm thinking of
> > it's got a German cross (is that the Iron Cross, or does it have any
> > other name?) on the turret.
> > Later,
> >
> > Oerjan Ohlson
> The WWII german cross was the 'Balkencross',
> the modern cross is the 'Maltese cross'
> (or some varient thereof).
>
> Bye for now,
> John L.

To put matters straight:
The WWII German cross with straight edges is the 'Balkenkreuz' ('Beam
Cross')
The modern (and WW I ) with curved edges is the 'Eiserne Kreuz' ('Iron
Cross' after the old Prussian medal).
The 'Maltese Cross' has nothing to do with Germany, but rather with the
Knight Hospitallers of Malta (and their present-day caritative
successors).
It's cross beams are triangular  with cut-outs at the end.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: location Next: Re: FMA HTH