Prev: Re: CanAm Questions Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition

Re: AFV Recognition

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:36:46 +0100
Subject: Re: AFV Recognition

Alan Brain wrote:

>>Probably the M-84 (picture taken directly from the side, and with not
>>very many details showing).
>
>That's the one, yes.
>
>>The Ikv-91 is much cuter than any
>>T-something <g> (Then again, I might be biased in this case...)
>
>Funnily enough, we don't get many Ikv-91s in this neck of the woods.

You don't? <g> That's OK; I won't either in a few years... not sure if
it'll be replaced at all, but if so the CV90120 is the main contender.

>Nor M-84s for that matter.

>Now Type 59s, 69-Is, 69-IIs etc are a different matter.

>>Yep. The page recognises that too (fortunately <g>)... I suspect that
>>IFF gear is going to get a lot more important in the future, when
both
>>sides use ex-Soviet vehicles :-/
>
>Concur. It was so much easier when square-turret = ours, round =
>theirs. But with Black Eagle even that's changed.

The Black Eagle is rumoured to be out of favour with the Russian army..
has anyone actually deployed it yet?

OTOH, NATO's various new allies from the former Warsaw Pact all operate
various T-somethings, so nowaday's it's "square turret = ours, round
turret = probably ours"...

>>Yes... he didn't give any NATO designations exept for the HIND-D, did
>>he.
>
>True-ish. BMD, BMP are fairly standard, (though how many know that
>the D is for Desantya <sp?>).

<g>

>One thing that's almost vaguely on-topic: the design for the Combine
>Light Tank for OGRE is very reminiscent of the good old S tank. Or at
>least, the few rare ones I have are. But then again, so's the old GW
>plastic Eldar Falcon.

Yep. I suspect it's easier to aim with a grav tank, though :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: CanAm Questions Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition