Prev: Re: New site? Next: Re: New site?

RE: [SGII] Re First SG2 game

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:02:20 -0400
Subject: RE: [SGII] Re First SG2 game

 Sorry about the delay in replying but I am on the digest list and I
hope
the formatting comes out ok (cut and paste here we come)

** Me too.

I was using the standard PzGd. platoon from the manual ( 1 command and 3
squads of six men for a total of 24 figures)

Adam had three squads of eight men (1 command 2 squads)for a total of 24
men as well.

** I'd call that 3:2 in favour of Adam. Maybe even 7:3. PA is fast, has
auto-recovery, usually has a good armour value, carries at least as good
of
weaponry and is three kinds of hotstuff in hand to hand. Your poor
schnitzels never had a real chance. But that's good too because not all
battles are meant to be fair - the unbalanced ones teach you different
lessons - how do you compensate for weakness? Don't let the PA get
close!
(or try at any rate). Just hope the victory points (if you use some such
concept) reflect the differential :)

I know that it is a bit unbalanced but we were playing our first game
and
I was due a hiding anyway(VBG)eh Adam!

We talked about this and I think that we will do that in future,
otherwise
it gets down to who has the best initial placement of the dummies as to
how useful they will be.

** I concur with Allan though - increase odds to spot moving dummies.
Two
notes about SG2 spotting from my own infantry experience - 1) static
units
are too easy to spot and 2) moving units aren't easy enough. Also, units
moving should spot poorly, and units stationary should spot better. But
I'm
really sure this isn't yet the time for you to worry about that stuff.
If
you want, I can recommend some good weblinks to visit for SG2 optional
rules
(mine and the SG2 web page Jed Sadler runs).

I like the idea of the 6 men squads at the moment, I agree that 8 looks
too big (ESP for the UN!)I don't know how splitting the squad into two
three men/woman elements would go at the moment. I guess its some thing
we
will have to look at over time.

** Well, don't worry about overmuch articulation for now. Just something
watch - how squad size affects the game. Anyway, the UN should be in
groups
of 6. If you'd had 24, and Adam had 18 guys, things would have been
closer.
Keep in mind the command squad rarely performs well - Oft times it sits
at
the back while the officer does two transfer command actions. The rest
of
the squad does zilch. I hate this so I keep command squads small - 2-3
guys.

No problem I hope to do a quick report after each game as I enjoy
reading
about others exploits so I assume that others would feel the same. (Note
to self. Check email responses for tidal wave of negative replies :-)

** I have some huge AARs with pics to get up, but ... well... time... :)

I also intend setting up a web page with pictures of our battles and
figures (FT, SG and soon DS!)

** Good on yer, Mate!

I have been keeping an eye on the Vehicle debate as that is the next
area
we will be branching out into. I am currently kitbashing a 15mm
Battlefront Panther into a grav tank, The angular hull and turret makes
it
look quite good. Hopefully I will have it completed in the not too
distant
future. I have looked at changing the turret to a JSU III type but
couldn't get my hands on one easily. Wargaming materials are hard to
find
here in NZ (hence the large buy ups whenever I get the chance to
travel!)Never to mind expensive esp. with the way the south pacific Paso
has been doing :-)

** Didn't realize you were Kiwis! Nice place, by all accounts, like the
Canada of the South. :)   I've got more people to drop in on when I'm
globe
hopping now :)

** Take care. If you hit any more SG2 questions or want an eye over some
game setups, just send em on and I'll share my 0.02 in the community
spirit.
:)

Tom

Prev: Re: New site? Next: Re: New site?