Prev: [SGII] Re First SG2 game Next: Re: Help for Oerjan

I. Am. Anglian! (was Re: Help for Oerjan)

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 21:47:50 -0400
Subject: I. Am. Anglian! (was Re: Help for Oerjan)

(Don't understand the point behind the title "I. Am. Anglian."? That's
okay,
the Canadians out there do... *G* And this isn't REALLY OT; if you don't
believe me, skip to the bottom.)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 20:39:51 -0400 , "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com>
wrote:

>I think one point to address what Allan said - though we use the M113,
more
>use is had form the new 8x8 LAV-style vehicle (can't recall what we
call it
>- successor to the 6x6 Grizzly and 6x6 Cougar). Wheeled APCs and AFVs
are
>all the rage now. Better mobility and self sufficiency I guess versus
>tracked systems.

Quite true, I've seen one of these up close at the Canadian National
Exhibition. Our peacekeepers still use M113s but these are our new APC.
It's
called the Kodiak. It was built by a Swiss company called Mowag, but
Mowag was
purchased by the Diesel Division of General Motors of Canada. The Kodiak
is
the name given the Canadian version of the vehicle called the Piranha
III. You
can see it here:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/piranha/

The reason for wheeled systems is as you've given. The suspension is
also
simpler on wheeled vehicles. Another reason I've seen for wheeled
vehicles is
protection against anti-vehicle mines. Wheeled vehicles have a higher
clearance (which aids in mobility over bad going) which makes them less
susceptible to anti-vehicle mines. The crew compartment is physically
further
away from the mine blast.

>And I have to second Allan's other comment. Though I like very much
many of
>the wonderful Americans I've met through this list (Jon, KR, Los,
Kr'rt, and
>many others), I'm a Canuck and I'm *NOT* American.

I'll second this. I've met many, many wonderful Americans, both at
GenCon and
through the Net. I've found them all to be warm, friendly people.

Now that I think about it, I've talked to quite a few American tourists
(I
work near a fairly major touristy area of Toronto) and every American
has been
warm and friendly.

Americans are only scary when they get together in packs of State size
and
larger. *duck* and *grin*

>North American, sure.
>Even better, Canadian. Better still (chuckle) Canadian of Scottish
descent.

I'm Scots by birth, Canadian by (my parents') choice. *S*

>But not an American please. That'd sort of be like me accusing any
middle
>European of being a German or French just because they came from "sum
furrin
>place".

It's closer to calling a Scot "English"! *L* I honestly don't think
there is
anything quite as analogous.

So, do you think that the members of the NAC would be called "Americans"
by
everyone else? Or "English"? I supposet they're called "Anglos", short
for
Anglians.

Hmmm... Wonder what the citizens of the other nation groups would be
called.
NSL = Swabians? How about "Neubies"? *L*
ESU = Eurasians, I guess.
FSE = Europans? Feds?

What about the other groups?

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: [SGII] Re First SG2 game Next: Re: Help for Oerjan