Prev: Re: Help for Oerjan Next: I. Am. Anglian! (was Re: Help for Oerjan)

[SGII] Re First SG2 game

From: "Flynn Richardson" <Flynn.Richardson@u...>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:41:57 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Subject: [SGII] Re First SG2 game

Sorry about the delay in replying but I am on the digest list and I hope
the formatting comes out ok (cut and paste here we come)

Thanks for the welcome, I think that we will be doing more ground action
in the future (I also picked up some DSII stuff as well:-))

>Third, Brass Tacks:
>
>1) What was the exact force mix? Sounds like two-three squads vs. the
same
>number. 8 men to a squad? If that's the case, you just can't match UN
Fast
>d12 PA vs. PzGd. It just isn't fair to the poor Teutons. Firepower
plays a
>big role in the game, but the fast movement of PA and the devastation
of a
>PA close assault really change the dynamics. PA should (IMO) be rated
at
>somewhere between 1.5 and 2 normal figures (depending on the figures in
>question). If you were using the UNSC Marine TO&E off the net, I'd say
>they're a pretty potent adversary.

I was using the standard PzGd. platoon from the manual ( 1 command and 3
squads of six men for a total of 24 figures)

Adam had three squads of eight men (1 command 2 squads)for a total of 24
men as well.

I know that it is a bit unbalanced but we were playing our first game
and
I was due a hiding anyway(VBG)eh Adam!

>2) Dummy counters. I'm not sure what the "OFFICIAL" rule is (don't
recall,
>don't much worry about that anymore because I'm comfortable with the
rules
>as we play them) but I generally allow dummies to move in these kind of
>situations.

We talked about this and I think that we will do that in future,
otherwise
it gets down to who has the best initial placement of the dummies as to
how useful they will be.

Item 3

I like the idea of the 6 men squads at the moment, I agree that 8 looks
too big (ESP for the UN!)I don't know how splitting the squad into two
three men/woman elements would go at the moment. I guess its some thing
we
will have to look at over time.

>Enjoyed hearing your exploits, look forward to more.

No problem I hope to do a quick report after each game as I enjoy
reading
about others exploits so I assume that others would feel the same. (Note
to self. Check email responses for tidal wave of negative replies :-)

I also intend setting up a web page with pictures of our battles and
figures (FT, SG and soon DS!)

I have been keeping an eye on the Vehicle debate as that is the next
area
we will be branching out into. I am currently kitbashing a 15mm
Battlefront Panther into a grav tank, The angular hull and turret makes
it
look quite good. Hopefully I will have it completed in the not too
distant
future. I have looked at changing the turret to a JSU III type but
couldn't get my hands on one easily. Wargaming materials are hard to
find
here in NZ (hence the large buy ups whenever I get the chance to
travel!)Never to mind expensive esp. with the way the south pacific Paso
has been doing :-)

Prev: Re: Help for Oerjan Next: I. Am. Anglian! (was Re: Help for Oerjan)