Prev: Help for Oerjan Next: Re: Help for Oerjan

Re: DS2 Mudular walkers

From: Glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 20:46:25 EDT
Subject: Re: DS2 Mudular walkers

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:42:54 -0400  "Bell, Brian K"
<Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil> writes:
<snip>
>I like your hull down rule. It also works for non-reverse-articulated
>legged
>mechs as they just go prone at the end of the movement (face down/face
>up
>your choice).
>
>I was in a BT campaign one time (GOOD campaign that lasted over 2
>years).
>During one of my early games, we (a reinforced company of 4 lances or
>18
>mechs -- 1 light lance, 2 medium lances and one Hvy/Assault Command
>lance)
>faced an ambush by tanks in prepared positions (hull down) supporting
>an
>opposing heavy Mech force (about company strength of 3 lances or 12
>mechs
>mostly heavy and assault Mechs). We were taking many hits from the
>tanks
>while we dealt with the opposing Mechs (we managed about even trades
>with
>the opposing Mech force despite the size difference). I soon saw that
>we
>were on the verge of having to withdraw if something was not done. I
>charged
>my Mech across the battlefield and then went prone at the end of
>movement. I
>got many questions like "What are you doing?!?!" from both the
>opponent and
>my own team. I was shot at, but was not hit (being prone, I presented
>smaller target). The next turn I was able to stand up, close the
>distance,
>and enter the tank trench. I blasted away with chest and arm weapons
>removing 2 tanks, then kicked-in the side of the nearest tank. This
>was very
>disconcerting to the tanks, to have a 45 ton giant stomping on them
>without
>being able to fire back, so they pulled out of their prepared
>positions to
>get a shot at me (the prepared positions limited their arc of fire and
>restricted movement). While they were doing this, I opened up on them
>at
>point blank range (top armor shots), and kicked in the turret of
>another
>tank. Now that the tanks were distracted, my rest of my lance ran to
>the
>tank trench (without being fired upon) and decimated the remaining
>tanks.
>Without support of the tanks, the opposing Mech force retreated. End
>verdict: An unorthodox tactic turned the tide of the battle (one that
>the
>gamemaster had set up for us to loose and retreat from in order to set
>up
>the next game).   :-)

Ah, the acid test of a GM/DM - now how do you handle the (excellent)
tactics of a player that blew your preconceived 'set-up' - did you plan
alternatives?  Do you have NPC's/other forces set up for such a 'remote'
possibility?  OR can you use this to introduce the next scenario  a
different way?

Great move by the way!

Gracias, Triphibious/Glenn
Triphibious Marines = Nektons.
Not all Frogs are French, or even Human!
Nektons, be all the Marine you can be!
Resistance is EVERYTHING!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Help for Oerjan Next: Re: Help for Oerjan