Prev: Bugs! Re: re: Mini Related Questions Next: Re: Bugs! (and other alien life forms)

first SG2 game

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:45:08 -0400
Subject: first SG2 game

Well, first I'd like to thank Flynn for a wonderful AAR. Well described
for
the most part :)

Second, welcome to the fold. SG2 is a wonderful game. Many more options,
alternatives, and decisions (IMO) than in FT though the game sometimes
takes
a bit longer.

Third, Brass Tacks:

1) What was the exact force mix? Sounds like two-three squads vs. the
same
number. 8 men to a squad? If that's the case, you just can't match UN
Fast
d12 PA vs. PzGd. It just isn't fair to the poor Teutons. Firepower plays
big role in the game, but the fast movement of PA and the devastation of
PA close assault really change the dynamics. PA should (IMO) be rated at
somewhere between 1.5 and 2 normal figures (depending on the figures in
question). If you were using the UNSC Marine TO&E off the net, I'd say
they're a pretty potent adversary.

2) Dummy counters. I'm not sure what the "OFFICIAL" rule is (don't
recall,
don't much worry about that anymore because I'm comfortable with the
rules
as we play them) but I generally allow dummies to move in these kind of
situations.

3) One way I find to give more flexibility to forces (though it makes
them a
bit more brittle, best done with REG or better troops - actually can be
justified by superior training allowing greater articularion) is to
setup a
platoon roughly as follows: (example)
	a) Cmd Sqd (3 or 4 guys)
	b) First Sqd, Fireteam A (4 guys)
	c) First Sqd, Fireteam B (4 guys)
	etc. for the other two squads.
This ends you up with 2 manouvre and fire elements per 8 man squad. They
take casualties worse, their fire is less concentrated (but more
efficient,
given the falloff in the efficacy of small arms in large numbers in SG2
rules), but they suffer suppressions better (more units to suppress) and
they give you more tactical flexibility. Something you might think of
trying
down the road. More manouvre units do slow the game a bit though.

Enjoyed hearing your exploits, look forward to more.

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Prev: Bugs! Re: re: Mini Related Questions Next: Re: Bugs! (and other alien life forms)