Prev: Re: testing. Next: Re: Asymetric ships

RE: [figures] Interesting development

From: "Steve Gill" <Steve@c...>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:22:21 +0100
Subject: RE: [figures] Interesting development

Charles Stanley Taylor wrote:

> Not specifically GZG related (except that GZG produces figures), but
> have a look at the article on 3D printers in this weeks New Scientist
> (either in the printed magazine or on the web site,
> www.newscientist.com).
>
> This has interesting implications for the future of miniatures games,
> and the companies that produce the miniatures!
>
> Imagine, design your own spaceship on a 3D CAD package, hit the print
> 3D icon, wait a bit, and you've got your own custom miniature!

We were looking at these machines for making masters a couple of years
ago. Back then they cost around $15,000 and could only guarantee
precision
to the nearest 1 mm.

Give them time and these machines could revolutionise the miniatures
industry completely, especially the hobby collector's stuff (resin
dragons
etc.).

---
Steve Gill
Steve@caws.demon.co.uk
http://www.caws.demon.co.uk/

Prev: Re: testing. Next: Re: Asymetric ships