Prev: Re: [OT] - Hmmm... an idea has sprouted!!! Next: Re: J.U.M.P. After Action Wrap-Up

J.U.M.P. After Action Wrap-Up

From: "Galen Thies" <fldmrshl@h...>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 09:07:48 CDT
Subject: J.U.M.P. After Action Wrap-Up

Well, as promised, here is the post game review of the new Evil Polish
Brothers game J.U.M.P.:Into the Unknown.

We started the game at about 4:30pm.  We had a full house, 4 players.
Overall, we were pleased with the mechanics.  It took a few turns to get
handle on the routine.

The diplomacy rules result in some interesting situations.  Red player
had a
run of bad luck and found nothing but hostiles to fight with.  The four
players basically paired off Silver(me) vs. Blue on one side and Red vs.

Green on the other.  When a player explores a new planet, the player to
his
right rolls dice to generate that planets political leanings
(lawful,savage
or selfish), production and tech level.  The political part determines
how
easy it will be for an empire to convince it to ally up (if the planet's

alignment matches the empires, its easier) or get lost.  The production
level determines how many build points the planet will generate if it
becomes part of an empire.  The tech level determines the quality of the

units it will be able to produce.  When a planet joins your empire, you
get
its military added to your own.  If it decides that it doesn't like you,
you
might end up fighting its forces.

The combat mechanic is by all accounts pretty cool.  First, players fire
any
units they have that can do long-range bombardment.  They only get one
shot.
  Then, both sides have the option of launching fighters.  The fighters
duke
it out by themselves until one or both sides is destroyed.  Then the
REAL
combat begins with the remaining fleet units.  The surviving fighters
can
choose their targets, but any other hits are decided by the defending
player.

By turn 5, most of the planets on the board had been allied or
subjegated.
I had three fleets on blue's border and he seemed to be tied up in
polishing
off the last of a neutral's military.  I jumped at the chance to
"liberate"
one of his border worlds.  The resulting combat was disastrous.  His
fighters killed off 5 of mine for every 1 of his I shot down.  Then, I
realized that I had failed to recall that he had built several orbital
forts
and had moved 2 rather large fleets in to counter mine.  I lost 2 fleets
and
was forced to go on the defensive.  The next turn, I withrew my
remaining
forces to my most valuable border world and dug in.  He grabbed one of
my
lesser border worlds, and prepared for an assault on my homeworld by
blocking my fleet from reinforcing it.	The following turn, I built 10
surface forts on the homeworld and I took a big chance and sent 3 fleets

through a black hole in the hopes that they would make it home in time
mount a last-ditch defence.  It would have worked but I rolled two sixes
and
a five-- resulting in the loss of two large fleets and the decimation of
the
third.	Blue player wasted no time in polishing off the remaining fleet
and
landing several star grunts and armored assault vehicles and cruching my

homeworld.  Oh well, another thousand years of tyranny and oppression.

I must admit, the game was a great deal more fun than I expected.  The
diplomacy rules and the fog of war provided by the fleet counters gave
the
game a real tension that is missing in many games of this genre.  The
"king-maker" problem and the "gang-up on the leader" issue (the downfall
of
many games of this type-IMHO) never really surfaced.  I believe that the

secrecy in the system make it difficult to determine who IS the leader
and
it makes it hard for players to ally with one another because the
disposition of fleets is not readily apparent by looking at the board.
The
playing time on the box is listed at 30mins to 2 hours.  Our game
wrapped up
at 9:30pm making it a total playing time of 5 hours.  And we really
didn't
technically FINISH the game.  The red player and I were basicaly out of
it
and the other two decided that the galaxy was big enough for the two of
them.  However, this was our FIRST game and an allowance must be made
for
that.

I fully expect to play J.U.M.P. again soon.  Overall a very enjoyable
night
of gaming.

K.P.R.
Galen

http://profiles.msn.com.

Prev: Re: [OT] - Hmmm... an idea has sprouted!!! Next: Re: J.U.M.P. After Action Wrap-Up