Prev: Re: [FT] [OT?] Has anyone considered... Next: RE: [FT] [OT?] Has anyone considered...

Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:24:17 +0100
Subject: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

Hi from one rules author to another!

>Thank you for the pointer.
>
>If you take a look at Starship!, I think you will see that these sorts
of
>conversions are much easier.
>Your URL includes a lot of fan-generated optional rules and rule
additions
>to make these races work. This is fine, but the same can (and has) been
>done with other  systems, like SFB.
>
>The problem I had was that they are unofficial, and somewhat arbitrary.
If
>someone was holding a FT tournament at a con, and you wanted to bring
in a
>fleet using non-official rules, good luck!
>
>And many systems, like SFB and BF Gothic, don't allow custom ships at
all!

>What we were trying to do was make a game system where the ability to
>recreate your favorite race, IS official, and universally acceptable to
>anyone playing the game. It is, to my knowledge, the only system that
lets
>you custom design your race and your ships.

Not having seen the Starship! rules (do you have a distributor this side
of
the Pond?) I assume that to do this, you have a "system builder"
mechanism
in the design rules which allows players to make up their own weapon
types
and other systems, and which then calculates an accurate and
game-balanced
costing for said weapon, much as DBI have done in "Shockforce" (at least
in
theory - I don't know how balanced their system is in cost terms, as
I've
never analysed the math)?

Jon (GZG)

>Thanks-
>
>-Brad
>

>Greg Wong wrote:
>
>>	Hiya!
>>
>>	My name is Brad Carlson, and I am the primary author of the
Starship!