Prev: RE: [SG2] [FMA] [Am I the last one to use tags?] Comms Quality Next: Re: [DS] Force Organizations

Re: [OT] [gzg hist] UN Covert Ops

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 31 Aug 2000 13:49 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] [gzg hist] UN Covert Ops

> I believe it wasn't  until late 20th century that mercenaries were
> considered evil.  But with the almost universal use of private
> security forces (rent-a-cops) the reintroduction of mercenaries in
> conflicts is not unexpected.
>
>	      Eric G.

The reputation of mercenaries has varied widely throughout history.
Landsknechts and 30-Year's war mercenaries had a particularly evil name
for
plunder, rape, murder and wanton mayhem. In the 18th century more or
less all European were technically mercenaries and very strictly
disciplined. During the American Revolution Hessian Mercenaries got
painted black
by American propaganda.

It's mainly due to the predominance of national armies and
nationalistic politics in the 19th and 20th century that (foreign)
mercenaries
declined in importance and reputation. Non-foreign mercenaries are
called
professional soldiers instead - If you define a mercenary as somebody
who
is a full-time soldier (as opposed to a militiaman) and gets paid for it

(instead of being conscripted to the task).

No offense to any professional soldiers on the list intended.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: RE: [SG2] [FMA] [Am I the last one to use tags?] Comms Quality Next: Re: [DS] Force Organizations