Prev: Re: Shuttles and ship's small craft Next: [ot] Interplanetary U.F.O. (was :Re: INSS MacArthur?...)

RE: [FT] vector point balance

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:33:12 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] vector point balance

I have to agree with Beth here.

Arcs upto 3 seem to still be in balance. It only begins to get out of
kilter
with 4 or more arcs on large beams and torpedos. I think that this is a
deliberate part of the design system (to encourage more guns with fewer
arcs
rather than fewer guns with more arcs AND to encourage smaller guns
where
the arcs cost less). As you move to oversided beam weapons (Class 4+)
you
will find that most designers tend to limit the arcs of these more
powerful
weapons to redistribute mass/cost more efficiently.

Also, I have played with asymmetrical ship designs (in vector). I like
these
as they give more concentrated firepower. But, as with the KV, I have
often
been just a hair out of arc on a number of occasions (leaving no weapons
in
arc).

When playing against asymmetrical or limited arc designs, it sometimes
helps
to bracket your target so that not all of your fleet is in his arc.
While in
practice it may not make much of a difference (due to concentration of
fire), it is psycologically unnerving to have someone shooting your
ships
when you cannot return fire. :-)

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

I'm
>  >talking about).
>
> As long as you're not mixing cinematic and vector movement in the one
game

> I wouldn't worry (even if you were I probably wouldn't worry). The
extra
> arcs are important to the owning ships even in vector... I've seen the
KV