Prev: Re: Starship flooring Next: Defense of supposed gender bashingRe: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player

Re: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player

From: Brian Thomas <bthom37@e...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:21:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player

At 08:53 PM 08/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, inspite of Schoon stealing my thunder:
>
>***
>My name is Brian Thomas; I'm 21, and have been wargaming for about 3
years
>now (help!  I can't stop;).  I, and my gaming group, are relatively new
>Full Thrust, having mostly done GW mini games, with some Clan War and
B5
>Wars thrown in.  With that in mind, a few questions have come up
regarding
>FT.
>***
>
>Howdy, neighbor! Greetings from Nebraska (Lincoln).

Do you know Bill Brush (IIRC)?	aka Rand?  He runs a discussion list I'm
on, and lives in Lincoln.

>Three years ain't nuthin'. Wait til you find a gurl. That'll be the end
of
>yur gamin'. ;->=

Ah, apparently I'm lucky (sortof).  I'm engaged to a wonderful girl,
whose
obssession with plants (herbs and orchids in particular) equals mine
with
gaming, so we just don't comment on each other's faults ;)

>Have you tried B5 Fleet Action yet? I'm still deciding myself.

Afraid not.  We've just been doing B5 Wars, mostly Narn and Earth stuff
(Minbari looks a little nasty).

>I invite you to look at the list archives; everything I say'll be
wrong.
>http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/

I'm doing just that.

>***
>1) Where exactly are the advanced fighter rules?  (ie, torpedo,
>interceptors)	Are they in FB2, or is More Thrust still in production?
(I
>have FT and FB1)
>***
>
>I was tripped up on this one; I think they're repeated/updated in FB2,
but
>I don't have a copy handy.
>
>***
>2) What sort of size fleet are people normally playing?  We've played a
>2000 and 3000 pts per side (2 players per side) game, and are leaning
>towards 2000 each person.  What has people's experience been for
'ideal'
>size fleets?
>***
>
>I tend towards a BIT smaller, but I know one can tire of those quickly.
>
>***
>3) Has anyone had any luck basing Superior minis on flight stands?
Some of
>them would seem well-nigh impossible (Galactic Dreadnought-sized), but
the
>destroyers and destroyer leaders seem possible.
>(http://www.stellargames.com/sfwars-prices.htm)
>***
>
>I forget what the std Terran DD is called, but the DDL is Samurai,
right?

Yes.

>seem to recall there's a bulge in the std close to the balance point.
>Problem with Superior is there's almost as much detail, and in the
GDN's,
>more, on the bottom than the top. Also, the Terran DD's are a bit thin
for
>drilling hold for posts. One of my many projects that will never be is
>make a 'cradle' stand, perhaps using blue/white tac to hold the ship
on.

I'll have to see.  I've got a bundle of their MAATACs, for Epic 40K, and
they're nice models, so I'm looking forward to the ships.

>***
>4) Will there be a FT 3d edition anytime soon, or a FB3?
>***
>
>*shhh* We must be grateful for the bounties we've received and let the
>groppos have their Bugs Don't Surf. ;->=

But of course.

>***
>5) What sort of success have people had with the NAC?	(my most likely
>fleet choice, using Superior minis)
>***
>
>I've flown ESU and NSL against them, and I've come to respect them.
Others
>claim them challenging. What higher praise, no?

Sounds fair.

>***
>6) Just how unbalancing, if at all, have people found DIY fleets from
FT1?
>***
>
>Compared to the out-of-book fleets, they can be VERY unbalanced. Again,
>I'll direct you to the archives, but I think you'll find that most
folks
>would say, either FB fleets must meet FB fleets, and DIY meet DIY, or
FB
>fleets against a really well-optimised DIYs can be used as a
'handicap'.

>Jon's stated that the designs are supposed to represent ships that have
>uses other than simple one off battles.

Yes, I get that impression.  I'm somewhat torn on this point; I'd like
use my own designs, but ensuring both rationality and fairness between
everyone's designs is problematic.

>Someday, I hope Battlegroup Lincoln can get it's poop-in-a-group and
invite
>you and yours up for some heavy burning of ships in the ether...

I'm actually going to Lincoln for a Warhammer Fantasy tournament/email
list
get-together in October, so if I have free time I'll try and see what I
can
do.

>The_Beast
>
>-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

Brian Thomas
"Monkey Hate Clean"
Lawrence, KS
Lizardmen FAQ rep

Prev: Re: Starship flooring Next: Defense of supposed gender bashingRe: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player