Prev: (FT) UIM and DERFACs Next: Re: (FT) UIM and DERFACs

RE: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types

From: "Jarrard, Jonathan (J.)" <jjarrard@f...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:51:52 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] DDs and DHs inspired by WW2 types

I've also been looking at WWII destroyers (mostly in old JANE'S).  I
like
some of your designs, here, but I think that the FT SMPs simulate
destroyer-launched torpedos better than SLMs.

The thing that keeps killing me when trying to transfer real-world 20th
Century designs to FT is firing arcs.  The main batteries on most
post-dreadnought ships have 5 arcs (either no F, or no A arc), which is
REALLY expensive in FT terms, and tends to cause such ships to lose out
ships carrying far more weaponry in more restricted arcs.  I am
particularly
disturbed when I hear about designs that use so-called "off-set" weapons
--
where all weapons bear on the F, FP, AP arcs (or the starboard
equivalent)

Actual naval designs have always had to deal with trade-offs of weight,
firing arc, and symmetry (since putting all the guns on the same side
would
quickly capsize you).  Sometimes this has led to wedding cakes,
sometimes to
broadside batteries (and could again, as in the Honor Harrington books).
Have any of you experimented with restricting the number/kind of weapons
on
a single arc?