Prev: Old Starguard player babble Next: RE: Old Starguard player babble

DS2 vehicle design page results

From: Glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:14:02 EDT
Subject: DS2 vehicle design page results

I went out and tried Andy Cowell's  (IIRC) designer site -
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~cowell/cgi-bin/min/newds2/generate-vehicle.....(s
orry
it printed off the page) and found it pretty good.  As long as you stay
conventional.  8^)

First let me say it is easy on the user, calculating VSP:BVP, Space
allocation* and cost along with a nice printout of a vehicle sheet.
Thanks, Andy.

What it doesn't seem to do -

1) I realize that this probably would be a nightmare to program but IF

you either

A) put a secondary (other then the (pg 32) Multiple mount (same
size/type)) you can't figure in a turret configured like many WW2 era
vehicles [a 76mm main gun plus MMG/HMG coaxial} - the DS2 equivalent
would be a HVC and APSW in the same turret {a size-3 HVC for nine points
and an APSW for two points, for example.)

b) or mix Direct fire weapons (I do a lot in my designs) such as a size
4
MBT with a HKP-4 AND a MDC-3 in the same turret (same range bands) or a
SLAM-5 and MDC-2 (ditto) or even an HKP-5 and a HEL-2 (dissimilar bands)
there is no way to model this in this otherwise excellent program.

Okay, I'm weird but a HEL-2 makes a passable anti-infantry weapon (with
good range) plus a nice sniper gun for light AFV's to supplement the HPK
'Tank Killer' gun.  I also like to put DFFG-1/DFFG-2 as coaxial weapons
for HPK's and SLAM's for similar reasons.

* one thing - I tried using my Cherokee Interface Landing  APC (Size 2)
with CFE/Fast GEV, GMS/L, APSW and carries two line FT's vehicle but got
an error message
"You may not have more weapons systems (COUNTING MOUNTED INFANTRY -
emphasis added) then your v"   [printed off page - vehicle class/size?]

Yet the example in DS2 page 12 shows a size three MICV with (count
them:)
1)  alternate class one turret: (3 points) - pick of RFAC, DFFG, APSW,
2)  GMS/H (4 points)
3)  two elements of infantry (#3 and #4 per the website?!) for eight
points.

Infantry transport does NOT appear to count towards number of weapons
systems on a vehicle.  If so, please refer me to the correct page.
While
this affects only a few designs it will change a few size 1 and 2 Drop
troop and Interface landing support vehicles in my units.

In theory  (even I haven't done this until just now) you could design a
size 5 APC with a turret with a primary class 2 RFAC and a secondary
class 1 DFFG [8 points], a GMS/L [2], a LAD [2], an APFC [1] and have
room for [25 minus 13 leaves 12 points] three fire teams.  I have not
checked this against the book so it may fail on other areas but it seems
to fit the direct fire weapons capacity and infantry transport rules...
Plus the 'free' APSW' of course.  Now obviously this would be a
specialty
vehicle (assault battle taxi with three assault troops FTs?) but it at
first glance seems to be a legitimate design.

Otherwise, great web site to deign vehicles for DS2!

Gracias,
Glenn
Triphibious Marines = Nektons.
Not all Frogs are French, or even Human!
Nektons, be all the Marine you can be!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Old Starguard player babble Next: RE: Old Starguard player babble