Prev: Re: [FT]Modular Ships Next: Re: [FT]FASA/RAFM Star Trek Ships Found

[ft]modular ships

From: "bif smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:18:56 +0100
Subject: [ft]modular ships

Been reading the debate on modular ships, and have a few questions-
1-Is the debate about a normal ship hull with the weapons in moduals, as
explaned by others as in present ships?
2-Or are the ideas more along the lines of a ship as a spinal core with
everything attached?
If it`s the first, the dissadvantages may be minimal, along the lines of
threshold check on a modual disabling all weapons/equipment in that
modual.
Also, I`d say that for the first design that only the
weapons/electronics
may be altered. The drives/hull etc are fixed.
For the second idea, I`d say that virtually everything is able to be
changed, including drives (but excluding FTL). This would allow more
flexibility, but make the ship more vulnerable. After all, the ship
isn`t
built as a one piece vessel, but as a group of separate parts,
increasing
the chance of literally "blowing off" the separate sections, and losing
whatever was installed in than section. My reasoning being that the ship
would only be as strong as the connections between the different
sections.
After all, if you design everything to be removable, you are introducing
week point into the ship. I would never use these ship myself, because I
don`t want to use ships that are weeker than nessasery.
Make sence to anybody else?

BIF

Prev: Re: [FT]Modular Ships Next: Re: [FT]FASA/RAFM Star Trek Ships Found