Prev: Re: [OT] Quiet Next: Re: DP9 in space [OT] Quiet

Re: DP9 in space [OT] Quiet

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:16:29 -0700
Subject: Re: DP9 in space [OT] Quiet

At 11:40 PM -0400 8/14/00, Aaron Teske wrote:
>At 08:59 AM 8/14/00 +0100, Jon wrote:
>>Corey wrote, in response to my question about the DP9 JC ships...
>>>It mostly float horizontally, and about 2-2.5"  in height and about
2" in
>>>length
>>
>>Hmmm. If they are no bigger than this, I wonder why they decided to go
for
>>resin rather than metal?
>>I'd expected them to be quite a bit larger, where resin would have
made
>sense.
>
>I suspect that DP9 went with the resin to keep production in-house and
>under their control (Fusion models, etc.), since they had a *heck* of a
>time lining up outside work for the Heavy Gear metal minis -- a big
reason
>for the delays in their release.  To my knowledge, they don't have (but
are
>looking to get, I *think*) in-house metal casting ability.
>
>					Aaron Teske
>					ateske@HICom.net

I just got a pack each of the first release of miniatures. Overall,
I'm cautiously optimistic about these minis. The two ships are very
nice models. The detail is very crisp and ranks with the very best
plastic figures (GW, I'm looking in your direction). I've seen good
resin models before, these are better. There is just a bit of flash
on the models and looks to be easliy handled by a sharp knife. I like
the ships a lot, and they'll do nicely for gaming. The Athena is 53
mm long, and 44 mm wide.

The exos are a different story. Not in production quality, they'll go
together well (a pin vise will help with the joints) and can be
easily posed. The main pieces are the limbs and torso, with varying
amounts of fiddly bits. Sadly, the Pathfinder does *not* come with an
intact weapon, one must be assembled. Assembling a wing of four will
be a real project. The models are also a lot bigger than I had hoped
for at 30 mm; most notably they're bulkier than the cardboard pieces
in the rulebook.

I've played LS with 15mm samurai for exos and with ships roughly the
size of the DP9 ships, these will cramp a table, blot out the ships,
be very expensive, and a lot of work to build and paint. I was
looking forward to fielding a force of 20-24 Jovian exos, but not at
this size and cost (I'll probably pick up some FA scale Minbari
instead and look into 15mm PA figs for LS).

I'm not completely down on the figures. They aren't the right size
for Lightning Strike.But next to a 6mm grav tank, they look like a
great size 4-5 walker for DSII. Or like light walkers in 15mm. Just
not for 1/5000 spaceship miniatures. I was hoping for something in
the 16-20mm range, and four in a blister. I'll have to drop DP9 a
line and let them know at least one customer would prefer the smaller
size, and they'd also have a sideline in 15mm PA.
--

Michael Carter Llaneza

Devolution is very real to me.

Prev: Re: [OT] Quiet Next: Re: DP9 in space [OT] Quiet