Prev: Re: [OT] 15mm Samurai (was RE: Historic/fantasy conversions for SG2?) Next: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

Re: MT Missile Questions

From: Brian Bell <bkb@b...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:03:35 -0400
Subject: Re: MT Missile Questions

At 17:43 2000-08-14 -0400, you wrote:
> > Do MT missiles require an active FCS?  If so, how many?  One per
target?
> > One per missile?
>
>Technically, no.  MTM's specifically carry their own FCS--go back and
read
>the description.  It would be reasonable to house-rule that a ship has
>acquire the target before handing off control to the missile, but
according
>to what's written there the ship does not need its own FCS.  I designed
>variant of Schoon's Requin strikeboat that dropped the FCS and whatever
the
>orginal weapons were, and replaced them with MTM.
>
>  Also, are MT missiles simply sucked into the nearest
> > target, like SLMs?	Or are they completely under the launching
player's
> > control?
>
>The latter.  They haven't been updated to Fleet Book specs
but--IMHO--they
>should move like a Fast Fighter, probably with a 3" (vector) or 6"
>(cinematic) secondary move, but they can select their targets rather
than
>simply hitting the closest radar reflection.
>  In small numbers they're less efficient than SMR/SML; however, in
large
>numbers they're more efficient, unless the target has a large PDS suite
>and/or good Area Defense.

They are more efficient in greater numbers because each missile must be
targeted by PDS seperatly.

We usually use the house rule that the ship that fires MT Missiles must
have 1 working FCS when the MT Missiles are launched. But any number of
MT
Missiles may be fired and they may attack different targets.

I ran MT missiles in a PBeM using vector and FB:
- Movement: 36tu in a 60 degree arc forward (i.e. may make upto a 2
point
turn at the begining of movement).
- PDS: 5+ to hit MT Missile with PDS.
- Each missile must be targeted seperatly by PDS.
- FCS needed at launch, but may target other units during fire phase
- No secondary movement
- 6tu range.
- 3 turns endurance.
It seemed to work well, but movement is notably different than MT.

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/