Prev: Re: [FT] Comments to Ship Design Next: [OT] 15mm Samurai (was RE: Historic/fantasy conversions for SG2?)

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:41:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

Stiltman said:
> I've had an ambition to set up some sort of larger campaign game where
> resource management winds up meaning something.  OTOH, I could easily
see
> that getting out of hand -- e.g. a carrier force attacking a
battleship
> force, the carrier side trades their fighter complement (but no ships)
for
> the opposing task force, nullifying both of their striking power for
the
> time being, but the carrier side goes and buys much fancier fighters
the
> second time around whereas the battleship side has to replace their
whole
> task force, thus the campaign quickly becomes worse for whoever falls
behind.

One way to help solve this is to set up your map as a square and have
the
players' home systems in opposite corners.  Say you have a 5x5 square,
on
player's home is at 1,1 and the other is at 5,5.  The initial front is
along
the line from 1,5 to 5, 1.  As a player gets pushed back towards his
home,
he has less to garrison therefore doesn't have to spread out his forces
as
much as the player who's advancing.  Forces from different spaces attack
in
succession, not simultaneously.  You may also add maintenance costs for
all
the systems acquired, but give them a lag before they start producing
for
you--that way you can't just conquer everything in sight and throw your
GNP
at him.

Prev: Re: [FT] Comments to Ship Design Next: [OT] 15mm Samurai (was RE: Historic/fantasy conversions for SG2?)