Prev: Those darned B1's Next: Re: Those darned B1's

Re: Those darned B1's

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:53:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Those darned B1's

First off, welcome to the list Galen!

>I only recently picked up fleet book 1 and overall have found the rules
>quite flexible and well written.  My one concern is with the design
rules
>with regard to B1's.  It seems to me that a ship designed with a
massive
>compliment of B1's could simply "put the pedal to the metal" and scoot
>range 12 by turn 3 of 4 and smoke the other fleet with a huge quantity
of
>beam fire.   They are very cheap and small-- a massive amount of fire
power
>could be brought to bear such a design philosophy.  Enough room left
over
>for rather big engines to get into business range.  Maybe I'm off-base
with
>this but I would appreciate any feedback on this.  I'm really hoping
that
>some goofball has actually tried this and been handed their head.

I think that you'll find that it's much harder than you'd think to stay
within that 0-12 MU envelope for long enough for your "pin cushion" to
do
enough damage. You'll also be taking damage (and possibly thresholds)
until
you get there.

If you had an REALLY maneuverable ship, then you'd be right. However,
since
your drive's limitations will rear their ugly head, you'll find that a
"range mix" will serve you in good stead.

Experiment with two cruisers (one FB and one of your design) using
cinematic movement and I think you'll see what I mean.

Schoon

Prev: Those darned B1's Next: Re: Those darned B1's