Prev: Re: Sa'Vaksu poser from Newsgroups Next: Brigade Models

Area effect 'arc-o-death' weapon idea

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:01:12 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Area effect 'arc-o-death' weapon idea

Ok, after doing various maths that gave wildly varying results, I have
this proposal:

Genre category weapon.
The 'Shockfront' area effect energy field weapon (SFAEEF)
(I'm trying desperately to avoid any use of the word 'wave' in this
weapons
name :-)

Prototype #1 - low power/short range varient.
This weapon has a single fire arc, and fires an expanding energy field
that
strikes all targets within the fire arc that are in range (doesn't
necessarily do damage though, read on...) When fired, any ships in the
fire
arc of the weapon (friend -or-foe, it's indescriminate) may take damage,
for
each ship, roll a number of dice equal to the class of the SFAEEF,
reduced
by 1 for every full 6 mu of range, and score them _exactly_ as beam
damage,
counting screens, armour, etc. as usual. (If you _must_ use reflex
screens -
they're nasty - each ship gets to reflect separately, so the attacker
could
take several times the damage it rolled!)

Alternatively, just roll one lot for the weapon, then figure effects on
ships on a case-by-case basis, when reducing the number of dice as you
cross
range bands, discard the _largest_ dice result. (you _might_ want to cut
the MASS/COST down if you use this option)

Example, fire SFAEEF-3 at 3 ships, two at 5 mu (one unscreened, one
screen-1), one (unscreened) at 7.
rolls: 3, 4, 6 (re-roll of 4).
unscreened ship at 5 mu takes 4 hits
screened ship at 5 mu takes 3 hits
ship at 7 mu takes 1 hit.

I can't decide if you need a firecon to fire this monster :-(
Ok, the bottom line:
Class  MASS
1	10
2	30
3	90
every additional class is triple the MASS of the previous.
COST is MASS x4

Prototype #2 - high power/short range
Much nastier - treat the dice Plasma Bolt dice (ie. damage = number
rolled,
screen-1 negates '6's, screen-2 negates '5's).
Always damages unscreened targets!

MUCH more expensive.
Class	MASS
1	 44
2	132
3	396
every additional class is triple the MASS of the previous.
COST is MASS x4

Prototype #3 - low power/long range
As Prototype #1, but use 12 mu range bands
Class	MASS
1	20
2	60
3	180
every additional class is 3x the MASS of the previous.
COST is MASS x4

Prototype #4 - low power/long range/'slow'
As Prototype #3, but the 'arc-o-death' moves at a speed of 24 (only
relevant
if Class-3 and above) - c.f. Nova Cannon.
Claas	MASS
1	20
2	50
3	125
every additional class is 2.5x the MASS of the previous (round to
nearest).
COST is MASS x4

Prototypes #5 and #6 high power versions of #3 and #4, with a similar
increase in cost.

These weapons actually fire an expanding _plane_ of energy - for a true
'arc-o-death' weapon I would say either:
roll to hit (use k-gun/pulse torp table) against everything in arc (use
12
mu range bands for the long range varients)
or - weapon can only hit _one_ target, chosen by fireer, in each range
band
- divide MASS/COST by 5 (say).
The LEXX gun would be a Prototype #6 with an obscene amount of dice :-)

Ok, I based the math on a lot of beams and firecons, does anyone think
these
things are any use? if so, are the costs right? or wildly off? (won't
get a
chance to playtest them myself for a while :-( )

Well, hope someone likes this :-|
I think I should give up designing silly weapon for the moment - but
from
the threads ATM 'the stars are right...'

Charles

--  Sig eaten by hard drive :-(

Prev: Re: Sa'Vaksu poser from Newsgroups Next: Brigade Models