Prev: Re: [FT][FAQ] Damage Control Parties Next: Re: [FT][FAQ] Damage Control Parties

RE: [FT] Cutter Beams & vertical damage.

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:10:29 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] Cutter Beams & vertical damage.

[Bri] Sorry. Beam dice, no rerolls (3 at 0-12, 2 at 12.x-24, 1 at
24.x-36).

> >Range: 36tu
> >Screen Effect: As Beam
> >Armor Effect: As K-Gun
> >Damage/Effect: Verticle Damage. If bottom hull box is damaged, ship
> >takes a threshold check at 6. Extra damage (past bottom row) is lost.
>
> >Cutter Beam B
> >Mass/Cost as Class-3 Beam (max3 arcs)
> >Dice: 2 hit on 4+
>
> See comment to Cutter Beam A.
[Bri] Sorry. Beam dice, no rerolls 2 dice for whole range

.>Range: 36tu
> >Screen Effect: As Beam
> >Armor Effect: As K-Gun
> >Damage/Effect: Horizontal Damage. On a roll of all 6s the ship takes
> >a threshold check at current level (or at 6 if on 1st row).
>
> >Cutter Beam C
> >Mass/Cost as Class-3 Beam (max 3 arcs)
> >Dice: 2  hit on 4+
>
> See comment to Cutter Beam A.
[Bri] Sorry. Beam dice, no rerolls 2 dice for whole range

> >Range: 36tu
> >Screen Effect: As Beam
> >Armor Effect: As K-Gun
> >Damage/Effect: Horizontal damage. If a hull with a crew factor is
> >destroyed, the ship takes a threshold check at the current level (or
> at 6
> >if on 1st row). Note: This versions does not work with Sa'Vasku.
>
> >Cutter Beam D
> >Mass/Cost as Class-3 Beam (max 2 arc)
> >Dice: Hit as K-Gun, Damage = roll
>
> Roll on a separate die (as P-torp) or the to-hit roll (as Torp
> Fighters)?
[Bri] Seperate Roll.

> >Range: 30tu
> >Screen Effect: None
> >Armor Effect: As K-Gun
> >Damage/Effect: Horizontal Damage. On a roll of 6 the ship takes a
> >threshold check at current level (or at 6 if on 1st row).
>
> This weapon is considerably more powerful than a P-torp (better armour
> penetration, possibly higher average damage, and occasionally inflicts
> extra threshold checks), yet costs exactly the same as the P-torp.
[Bri] True. Arcs are a little limited, but not enough to make a
difference.
This should probably be limited to 1 arc instead. More effective than 1
arc
PTorp, but less effective as a 3 arc.
Or
Increase the Mass to 5 (same as C3KG), but allow upto 3 arcs (at 25%
base
mass per extra arc brings it to 1 mass each OR 1 mass each for upto 2
arcs
and 2 mass each for 3-5 arcs OR 2 per extra arc, depending if you round
normally or round up, each arc or total arcs)

> >Cutter Beam E
> >Mass/Cost as Class-3 Beam (max 3 arcs)
> >Dice: As Beam (no rerolls)
> >Range: 36tu
> >Screen Effect: As Beam
> >Armor Effect: As Beam
> >Damage/Effect: Horizontal Damage. On a roll of a 6 the ship takes a
> >threshold check at 6 (1 system loss max).
>
> How many dice does it fire? If it is as many as the B3, it effectively
> gets
> the extra "threshold checks" for free.
>
> If it can only take out one system per check, the order in which you
> roll
> for each system is critical. Who determines which system to check for
> when?
[Bri] 3 dice at 0-12, 2 at 12.x-24, 1 at 24.x-36. One or more 6s will
cause
1 threshold check (i.e. 1 check regardless of number of 6s rolled per
shot).
Each threshold check can take out a maximum of 1 system. Order would
have to
fleshed out, but I would suggest start with highest mass and work down.
Order of system check could be worked to increase or decrease
effectiveness
of weapon. While not play-tested yet, I would think that it compares to
Class-3 beam as follows:
# Cutter Beams: 1-2 per ship at same target.
Target Size: Small Medium Large  Very Large
# Dice:
1	     More  More   More	 Equal
2	     Equal Equal  More	 Less
3	     Less  Less   Equal  Less
# Cutter Beams: 3-4 per ship at the same target.
Target Size: Small Medium Large  Very Large
# Dice:
1	     Less  Less   Equal  Less
2	     Less  Less   Less	 Equal
3	     Less  Less   Equal  More
# Cutter Beams: 5+ per ship at the same target.
Target Size: Small Medium Large  Very Large
# Dice:
1	     Less  Less   Less	 Less
2	     Less  Less   Equal  More
3	     Less  Less   More	 More

[snip]

> Regards,
>
> Oerjan Ohlson
> oerjan.ohlson@telia.com
>
> "Life is like a sewer.
>   What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
> - Hen3ry
-----End Original Message----

My comments marked by [Bri]

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

Prev: Re: [FT][FAQ] Damage Control Parties Next: Re: [FT][FAQ] Damage Control Parties